3CX Server Overhead?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by treb, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treb

So, what are the basic computing overhead requirements of the 3CX system? We have a Server 2003 used as a basic file server and DHCP, etc... does 3CX need it's own hardware?

This server experiences fairly light loads... and we would like to put 3CX on it, also. It's an AMD 5600+ with 4GB of ram. We need overhead for about 8-10 max simultaneous lines.

Also, anybody know why the SNOM 320 and 360 are "supported" but the 300 isn't?

Thanks.

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi,

That server could potentially be used as a 3CX server. On paper there should be no problems at all if there is enough processing time and no bottle necks in network traffic.

SNOM 300 is supported.... As is the 370

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nebula

Nebula New Member

I am running 3CX on a windows 2003 test server, this is the only application on the machine so it is easy to monitor usage. It appears to use very little memory and CPU resource.

I agree with the previous post that network resource is probably the most important consideration. I would suggest that in a heavily used commercial network you should consider installing a second network card in the server on a different network to ensure voice quality. As an alternative you could impliment QoS on the network switches (if QoS capable) to ensure voice quality in times of heavy traffic.

4. h2009

h2009 Member

just a note on the above - QoS on switchs is very a good idea - If your creating a system for a small office the netgear pro GB switch from GS7 range is good. Because it allows you to manage the traffic - at a very good price.
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2657

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. treb

Yes, in an effort to maximize the resources available, we plan to impliment QoS, and just upgraded the entire network to Gigabit LAN with managed Dlink switch products.

I know, the irony is that most SIP phones (SNOM that we will use) do not use Gigabit, but it should still help. We will not use the switch pass-through feature of the phones to lighten the load on them. If worse comes to worse, we could create a VLAN just for the phones. And then a separate NIC if needed. After that, I guess it needs it's own machine.

There will be about 10 SIP phones, a few IP printers and about 12 workstations... so not a huge network or lots of network overhead.

My ignorance concerning the SNOM 300 was becuase we were simply using the information posted on the 3CX website of supported phones, FYI.

Thank you for the responses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.