3cx server speed may affect voip call/voice quality

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Henk, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henk

Henk Member

I noticed that dual core works really well.

But than again I have not had any issues like you mentioned.

I successfully ran 3CX on a laptop 500hz and less than 1gb, mind you not many calls in and out but for small business can do (not recommended, but I like to disagree with you where I can (LOL)).

Best performance I got was on:

900Mhz dual P. with 2GB or more, having 3CX and OS on separate disks and using SBS. It goes without saying that the better the specs the better the performance, but what is interesting to see is that there is not much of a CPU utilization using 3CX.

It runs now on a DUal Core 2.5, with 2gb and SBS it runs like a dream, cristal clear etc, this box has several other applications on it including our in house Sharepoint server and Music and Video collection streaming (internal only).

Network config is important as well, although voice traffic does not use the full 100mb bandwidth we noticed since we uprated to our Giga lan the IPPhone traffic is alot better.

It all adds up I guess

H.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. htcomm

Thats interesting mattlandis, as it seems to be different from what 3cx say generally about the server spec. Your original server was within recommended limits.

This makes me a bit concerned, as we are also having call quality issues and it makes me wonder whether our server is up to the job (2gb p4, 1 gb ram).

What sort of call quallity issues were you having and were these issues present on extn to extn calls or just external calls ?

Also what os were you running ?

Thanks - htcomm.

3. moon1234

I think the amount of CPU power and memory required depends a lot on how you have your VoIP system configured. You can decrease the amount of CPU power required if you can avoid using 3CX in transcoding mode. This happens when you tick the "PBX Delivers Audio" box on either the phone, ATA or Line. If all of your equipment supports the necessary codecs, transports, etc. then the audio will just pass through without being decoded and re-encoded.

I have 15 people activly using 3CX 5.1 on an old Dell PowerEdge 1650 with a PIII 1Ghz and 1 GB of ram. It is also a small public web server. We have no problems with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.