• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX setup and Call forwarding using SPA 3102

Status
Not open for further replies.

snv

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been thinking about routing my vonage connection through to 3CX and have been doing research on making this work and have come up with a solution which I think might work, hope you could advice whether I have understood it right (sorry if I have got the terminology wrong but I have just learnt these new words today!)

1. My vonage is currently connected to a normal handset telephone through the vonage adapter. I am thinking of connecting the end that goes into the telephone to the FXO port of Cisco SPA3102 because I called vonage and they told me that the line that comes out of the vonage adapter is of type POTS and apparently POTS connections are to be used with ports of type FX0, so I am assuming it should just work. Can anyone confirm whether this is accurate please?

2. If the above works then great, what I would like to do then is to setup around 10 to 20 extensions which when dialled should forward the call to an external number using my vonage connection, I am pretty certain this is possible when dialing an extension internally but I would like to know whether I could do the same if I dial my vonage number from my mobile. To clarify a typical example would be:

User dials into Vonage number --> Types in an extension (Possibly using digital reception?) ---> Call gets forwarded to outside number (so user who dials in gets charged for the local call only irrespective of where the call is being forwarded to) Can someone please advice whether this is all possible using 3cx?

Many Thanks in Advance for your helps!

SNV

A 3102 FXO port plugged into the phone jack on a Vonage device (ATA) will function the same as when plugged into any POTS telephone line. You can place and receive calls to and from the 3CX PBX. You will not be able to execute any function requiring a "flash" and some codes requiring the * or # may not work, 3CX has a problem passing them onto a 3102 in some cases. There are a number of previous post about this if you search.

snv said:
User dials into Vonage number --> Types in an extension (Possibly using digital reception?) ---> Call gets forwarded to outside number (so user who dials in gets charged for the local call only irrespective of where the call is being forwarded to) Can someone please advice whether this is all possible using 3cx?

How do you plan on sending the second (forwarded) leg out, you'll have to have a second line to do that. Which means you'll need a second 3102 to interface to a second POTS line or Vonage ATA, or go direct through a different VoIP provider. Other than selecting an extension/department using the digital receptionist options callers will have no way of dialing an outside number directly.

Thank you very much for your reply

Regarding this..
leejor said:
How do you plan on sending the second (forwarded) leg out, you'll have to have a second line to do that. Which means you'll need a second 3102 to interface to a second POTS line or Vonage ATA, or go direct through a different VoIP provider. Other than selecting an extension/department using the digital receptionist options callers will have no way of dialing an outside number directly.

I do expect users to select an extension only, but I was expecting that extension to redirect the incoming call to an external number, just like how you can setup call forwarding or call transfer in a mobile phone? If this is not possible and if I need a second line can I use my normal home telephone and plug that into the FXS port on 3102 or would that need to go into the FXO port as well which means a second 3102?

Thanks again for your assistance.

snv said:
I do expect users to select an extension only, but I was expecting that extension to redirect the incoming call to an external number, just like how you can setup call forwarding or call transfer in a mobile phone? If this is not possible and if I need a second line can I use my normal home telephone and plug that into the FXS port on 3102 or would that need to go into the FXO port as well which means a second 3102?

You would be having calls come in on your Vonage line and they would need a second line to route back out on. If you are going to use your home phone line, then you'll need a second 3102 as the PSTN line has to plug into the FXO port. You would only plug a telephone set into an FXS port.

Incoming call on Vonage trunk->Caller selects option 6->Call is forwarded to Ext 201-> 201 has call forwarding at all times to 9-333-333-1234 (an outside number)->Outbound rule directs any call with 9+ten digits to second outgoing trunk.

One thing that could get a bit tricky is tweaking the settings so that when both parties hang up, 3CX drops both ends. Usually the best way to handle this is CPC (called party control), the phone line will actually disconnect for a split second when the PSTN caller hangs up. this will "release" the 3102. This is the most reliable method of determining if the far end party has hung up. I'm not sure if the Vonage ATA will do this, or your home POTS line. You may have to rely on other methods like silence time out or a tone that comes from the phone company if you stay off hook when the other party has hung up. These options are available in the 3102, you may just have to do some trial and error to get it working the way you want.

Of course, while the one conversation is going on, all other callers will get a busy signal (or your Vonage voicemail)

Great info, thank you very much :)

The Vonage is nothing but SIP line (it is converting in POTS using ATA) like PAP2 doses in 3cx extension, so if Vonage gives you account setting (Like username, SIP port, IP address and password of your vonage account) you can very well create SIP trunk in 3CX pbx,

this will make case easy and you can save one FXO (3102), that can be used for home line to forward call to mobile or any other phone.

Unfortunately Vonage isn't keen on people using ATA's other than a Vonage device. I had heard a while ago, not sure if it is still true, that they had been giving out the password and SIP info to be used on an ADDITIONAL soft phone as long as you were using an ATA as well. There was an additional charge. You would have to check with them to see if this is still valid information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.