3CX Sip trunk and Outbound Calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by efthimis, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efthimis

Hello,

I have setup a SIP trunk with Cisco call manager. On 3CX i have 1 VoIP provider. The inbound rules works as expected(i can forward calls from 3CX to Call manager via SIP trunk.)
    So i want to ask you. Is it possible when a user who calls from the call manager to route the call via SIP trunk to 3CX and then the 3CX to route this call via its VoIP provider?
    Thanks in advance.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It is possible, but you may have to do this...

Rather than using a generic VoIP trunk to the Call Manager, try using a Bridge Trunk.These cam be set as a Master or Slave, so can be set to register with the remote end, or , be registered to, as if the PBX was a VoIP provider. Incoming calls on a bridge trunk, when sent with digits match outbound rules, will use those rules. I'm not certain that the same will happen if the calls come in over a standard VoIP trunk, for security/abuse reasons. It is assumed that with a bridge trunk, you have some control over the calls/digits being received.

3. efthimis

Thanks for answer.

Is it possible to connect 3CX and Call manager with 3CX Bridge?(any info about this?).
    Also, with SIP trunk its impossible to forward received calls from other end to my VoIP provider?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

While a Bridge trunk is normally used to Bridge two 3CX PBXs, in most cases there is really no reason that it could be used as a bridge to another device/PBX. the advantage being that it can act as the device that is registering, just as a VoIP trunk would, or it can be the Server that the far end registers to, master, or slave. If you currently have a generic trunk registered to the Call manager, then a Bridge trunk should work.

I can't confirm this, it might work but presents a security risk for toll call abuse, others on the forum that have tried it may have additional information. A bridge trunk is used with the assumption that you have control over the digits being sent to you.

An incoming trunk call, to route back out again, must be able to follow an outbound rule (or router though an extension that is call forwarded). Normally VoIP trunks are set-up to route to a specific destination (ring group, Digital receptionist, or specific extension, or,set as a DID trunk (various extensions). I'm pretty sure that an incoming call on a bridge trunk will attempt to match an extension first, if that doesn't exist then if there is a match in the outbound rules, it will follow that.

Here is a link to additional information on setting up a bridge trunk.

http://www.3cx.com/docs/connecting-offices-bridges/

If you you some searching in the Forum, there are a number of posts on the subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.