3cx soft phone auto provisioning

Discussion in 'Windows' started by tgj, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgj

tgj

Hi,

I'm trying to get http provisioning to work for the 3cx soft phone. I want the soft phone to register to my asterisk server.

I have added my provisioning site to the account "Perform provisioning from the following URL", the problem is that I cannot see that the URL is ever called when I look at my web logs.

When is the phone supposed to call the provisioning URL? During startup? when I press OK on the account?

Also I have not been able to find much documentation on the XML to use for the provisioning.

Thank you all in advance.

regards
    thorben.dk

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    You may check the following topic:
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/documentation-on-automatic-provisioning-19032.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tgj

tgj

I read that thread before I posted my question, and it does not answer my question:

"When is the phone supposed to call the provisioning URL? During startup? when I press OK on the account?"

Regards
    Thorben

4. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Upon installation you either choose 'Create new account' or 'Autoprovision phone'.
    Before that you must have configured the extension for provisioning in 3CX server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tgj

tgj

I don't have a 3CX server, as I wrote in my first post, I want to provision the phone to work with my asterisk server.

6. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I missed the 'Asterisk' point.

Search the forum, there was a post explaining how to modify the config file of 3CX softphone. This should solve the issue, if applicable.

Regards

7. tgj

tgj

I think you are missing the question all together. I am asking: "When is the phone supposed to call the provisioning URL? During startup? when I press OK on the account?".

I have searched this forum extensively, and not found the answer to my question.

8. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Thorben

3CXPhone reads the provisioning data before every first registration on any account - therefore, your assumption is correct: when 3CXPhone starts AND when you press OK on accounts' dialog.

About provisioning file:
    - the two most important things is to have the proper XML format and to be accessible by HTTP (therefore C:\, file://, ftp://, https:// and so on are not accepted, only http://).
    - There is no requirement or checking for this file to reside on the same PBX's IP - PBX might be on 10.0.0.1 while provisioning file on http://www.google.com/3cxphone_provisioning.xml. Using such kind of "distribution", with a "provisioning server", perhaps using some PHP scripts on it, you may create a centralized, per-"company" provisioning server.

Hope it helps
    Regards
    vali

9. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Hi Thorben,

the link from Vali is what I meant -- I've seen either this or similar post somewhere in the forums.
    Hope this solves your issue.

Regards

10. tgj

tgj

Dear Vali_3CX,

Thank you very much for your answer, that helped a lot.

I downloaded a 3CXSoft phone from a voip provider, and when I started the 3CX Soft Phone it was configured to my extension at the voip provider. This was very neat, and I was wondering if I could do that somehow, and offer that to my customers? Is it possible to preconfigure a 3CX Soft Phone to an asterisk extension?

Regards
    thorben.dk

11. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    Hmm, this is something completely new for me... I'm not interested to know this provider, I'm interested to know what kind of 3CXphone installer was - msi, zip, .. ? Which 3CXPhone version it installed, as shown in About menu?

Now, about your question:

From my knowledge, the only way to achieve what you want - a preconfigured 3CXPhone installation - is to create your own installer. 3CXPhone installer does not write anything in user's profile (C:\documents and settings\user_name\Local Settings\Application data\3CX Voip Phone). Therefore, your custom installer should copy all existing binaries from C:\Program Files\3CXphone in a similar location (what current installer does) AND, additionally, to copy a preconfigured 3CXVoipPhone.ini in user's folder mentioned above. If you want a "dynamic" configuration of that preconfigured account, it requires only name and the provisioning URL - therefore, after install, 3CXPhone will read that account, will read the provisioning data from specified URL, then will register.

Regards
    vali

12. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Have a look on this related threat:
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/documentation-on-automatic-provisioning-19032.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.