• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX softphone and windows 7 stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane_robinson

Reaction score
Hi all,

We are relatively new to 3CX having just installed our phone system last week. We had previously been using skype for all of our phone calls and have finally made the switch to 3CX. We have about 15 users and all are keen to continue to use softphones. All of our machines are running windows 7 64-bit. On all of the machines, the 3cx softphone seems to crash once a day and needs to be restarted. This often happens after long periods of inactivity. The company that installed the 3cx system on our server said this is a a problem with Windows and not necessarily a problem with the 3CX softphone. I tried several other softphones and many showed a similar but different artefact. I have the Bria softphone 3 running on my machine now and this seems to be the only one that will work continuously without crashing.

On advise from our provider, I checked the make sure the computer was not entering sleep or shutting off the hard drives. I also checked the priority of the service in task manager and set this to high or real time. Both didn't help the problem.

Has anyone else noticed this problem or found any kind of a solution? I would prefer to use the 3CX softphone if at all possible but need a stable application.

Cheers, Shane

I have 10 systems running and dont see that happening.

Are you running windows 7 64 bit? What OS is your 3CX server running on? We are using SBS2011.

Cheers, Shane

I've had no issues with the 3CX softphone on Windows 7, 64 bit.

However, if this is happening on all 15 workstations you could have a network issue.
Wiring, the switch, server, server nic, etc.

I would pick one workstation as the guinea pig, run wireshark on that machine and see what's going on before the application hangs. You should run the 3CX server logging level in verbose and check the server logs after that workstation hangs. This will be a good starting point.

SBS is a very poor choice for the server, it's barely able to run itself. With that said, if your server has enough power, put on a free hypervisor (VMware 5esxi) and run 3CX on a separate VM on anything from XP to Windows 7. That should suffice. If you add a separate NIC that would be terrific. The 3CX softphone is ususally rock solid and we use it extensively on all laptops w Win7 Pro 64. You also want to look into your workstation power settings to ensure that sleep/hibernation is not causing a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.