Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

3cx softphone demo version

Discussion in 'Windows' started by claxtro, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claxtro

Hi,
    we have installed the demo version of 3cx and have about 4 extension and when using the softphone to call another softphone the sound can best be described as "hollow". We are using some basic logitec headsets. I'm assuming the sound quality is due to an unregistered version? thanks.

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

There is no difference in sound quality in the demo/free or the paid version of 3cx and it is excellent sound quality - we have the majority of our customers remark on the clarity of the sound when they switch to 3cx from an analog phone system.

There could be a number of factors affecting yours and we would need a bit more information on the setup to help you. Have you tried SIP phones or ATA's? Or are you sticking to softphones for all the extensions

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. claxtro

Ok, good to know. It appears to be the headsets and/or computer settings then, which I thought. We will be trying the Snom 821's with the system and I am fluent in QoS for our network so I am excited to try the phones. I currently have 2 basic Cisco 7940's hooked up and they sound great (compared to analog). We potentially would be a larger deployment of over 700 extensions utilizing our VM environment and this is my first foray into 3CX...so far I like what I see. So quickly speaking of headsets...any good wired suggestions with the softphone? I'm assuming the best wireless would be the bluetooth jawbones with it. Thanks.

--Rob, CCNP.

4. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Can I suggest not the SNOMs.

SNOMs are not a supported 3cx phone. There have been many problems with the two "devices" talking to each other and from my understanding the lack of response/support from SNOM to 3cx to resolve the issues is why support was dropped. It doesnt mean it wont work but is not a supported 3cx phone.

Our brand of choice (and it is personal preference no other reason) is Grandstream (and yes we are a SNOM partner, as well as Grandstream, Polycom etc.). The other brands (Polycom, Aastra, Yealink, Cisco SPA) will all work just as well. If you want to go for one brand (makes it much easier to manage - especially 700 handsets) then there are a couple of gotcha's to look out for with some brands - mainly for remote extensions. A Polycom does not do STUN and so is harder to set up as a directly connected remote extension, especially behind NAT, but works well with the tunnel. The Aastra does not work with the tunnel, but does do direct connections.

If you need help with any handset, if it is supported then 3cx will have good documentation and lots of blogs on them.

Using supported handsets means provisioning and changes are very quick and easy (especially again over a 700 handset system). For each extension you put in the mac address, tell 3cx the model, configure all your settings and blf and it created the provisioning file for you for that handset (about 2 minutes on initial set up). Then you need to tell the handset where the provisioning file is. Either enter it manually or the preferred option is DHCP 66.

After that initial set up all changes are made in 3cx and the phones will get the new changes next cycle or you can reprovision through the interface.

Couple that with being able to update firmware through 3cx too and you really have a great central handset management interface.

In V10 we hear that it is going to have better features for remote handset provisioning too!

So if you want to save some time and headaches, I really suggest a supported brand. If you stick to one brand (different models in the same brand) then you make DHCP 66 much easier too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.