Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

3CX softphone - each call starts out garbled...

Discussion in 'Windows' started by wookee, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wookee

I'm using the free 3CXPhone softphone. The first few seconds of each call I make starts out garbled, with intermittent gaps in the audio, then it clears up and 99% of the remaining call is very good.

I have a very strong broadband connection, the necessary RTP and SIP ports are unblocked with my firewall and I have another softphone from my VOIP provider and all calls are 100% from start to finish with that phone, so I know my hardware and network are not the problem, there is something not working right with the 3CX phone.

Mostly I left the settings as default and just entered the RTP range for my VOIP provider, the username and password for my accounts.

I have SIP accounts from 2 different providers and exactly the same thing happens regardless of which account I place or receive calls with.

The problem is with the 3CX softphone. I would have just stayed with the softphone provided by my first VOIP provider but it is locked and does not allow multiple accounts or to be used with any other provider...so I found and tried the 3CX softphone.

Any suggestions of how to get a consistently clear transmission?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Could it be a choice of codec issue?

3. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

The reasons of this issue can be investigated basing on wireshark capture of network traffic. Could you please provide it?
    Please pay attention, wireshark capture may contain "personal" information, so it is better to send it to trusted person using PM or e-mail

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. wookee

@ Leejor

Thanks for your reply Leejor, I tried the 3 different codecs that comes standard with the 3CX phone, I also tried fiddling with other settings but nothing made a difference.

Kind Regards.

5. wookee

@Stepan

Thanks Stepan, I've just downloaded Wireshark and when I figure out how to use it I'll send you the results.

Kind Regards,

6. wookee

@Stepan

I installed Wireshark and did my first capture but while I was doing it I think I accidentally discovered what the problem is.

I did not have my wireless headset plugged in so the call to my voicemail box was made using my computers sound card and I heard the voicemail box answer through the computers speakers. Surprisingly the call was crystal clear, no interruptions to the audio.

I then plugged in the wireless headset and made the same call again this time listening through the headset and as usual the call starts out garbled with interrupted audio then improves then I get intermittent audio disruptions as the call continues.

I have all of this captured using Wireshark however when I use my other (locked) Softphone (the one that was provided by my first SIP provider) the call is crystal clear from beginning to end USING my wireless headset.

So, I know my Logitech wireless headset is working 100%.
    > it is brand new, just out of the box.
    > it is fullly charged.
    > I am sitting right next to the receiver and am getting a maximum strength signal.
    > my 3CX phone preferences are set up to use the wireless headset as the microphone and speaker device.

[​IMG]

It seems that the 3CX phone just does not do a good job of communicating with the wireless headset.

Any suggestions of how to get it working better before I try throwing the (very expensive) headset away and just using a wired microphone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.