• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX Softphone License Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

amcpl1

Reaction score
Hi,

Does the softphone allow usage for a SIP extension for business or commercial use with other freepbx backend?

I have been using x-lite and would like to explore 3CX softphone for office extension usage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. GRANT OF LICENSE

Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, 3CX hereby grants to Licensee a limited, personal, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, non-transferable license to install on magnetic or optical media and use ONE (1) copy of the Software.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does the license permits use for businesses?

Thanks in advance.

Way back when, versions of the 3CX Phone would work happily with any SIP server. In the last few releases, they have become more version specific, to make use of recently released/updated features, that are exclusive to the 3CX PBX. The development of the SIP (phone) application is intended for use with the 3CX PBX, rather than users having to "find" a SIP application that works properly. Any interpretation of the software licence should probably be done be done with this in mind.

Thanks for the reply. I still do not get the hint behind this. I tested with my company IPPBX and work. Does it mean we can still be license to use but just doesn't guarantee future development can support? Or totally not license to use on other PBX?

Someone from 3CX would have to comment, for the "official" interpretation of the licence wording, but as far as "business use", that is what it was intended for. It is a business PBX after all.

If it works with other PBX's, and can be downloaded without restriction, and there is nothing in the licence wording that implicitly states it must be only used with the 3CX PBX, then personally, I would take that to mean that I could use it with any SIP server, if it worked. As i said, more recent versions of the Android version, have become PBX specific, and that may happen with the Windows version as well.

I have not seen anything (myself) stating that it's use was restricted, and, I may be wrong, I'm not a lawyer. I would think that if you were to attempt to re-brand, or re-distribute/re-sell, then you would have some legal issues.

Thanks, Leejor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robynL
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.