• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3cx softphone phonebook provisioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to manualy create xml file for phonebook provisioning to 3cx softphone.
What is the correct format of this file? I installed 3cx phone system to generate one - based on this I prepared my file: 3CXPhone-directory.xml and put it on my IIS server. Then I put string "http://192.168.1.205/3CXPhone-directory.xml" in 3cxsoftphone provisioning configuration field.

3CXSoftphone is not getting phonebook - in debug there is info: HTTP phonebook provisioning failed. However on IIS there is a log in wchih i can see that file 3CXPhone-directory.xml was correctly send to application.

What am I doing wrong? Is my 3CXPhone-directory.xml correct?

My 3CXPhone-directory.xml looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<tbook>
<contact>
<Number>2363</Number>
<DisplayName>Boguslaw Zukowski</DisplayName>
<FirstName>Boguslaw</FirstName>
<LastName>Zukowski</LastName>
<eMail />
<PictureURL />
</contact>
<contact>
<Number>1000</Number>
<DisplayName>Kamil</DisplayName>
<FirstName>Kamil</FirstName>
<LastName />
<eMail />
<PictureURL />
</contact>
<contact>
<Number>2498</Number>
<DisplayName>Kamil Jachimowski</DisplayName>
<FirstName>Kamil</FirstName>
<LastName>Jachimowski</LastName>
<eMail />
<PictureURL />
</contact>
</tbook>

The problem is not the XML format, but the download location: "3cxsoftphone provisioning configuration field" is for DATA provisioning, not for phonebook provisioning.

@Vali_3CX, thanks for anwer.

What is your sugested solution then?
Can I somehow provide central phonebook to 3cx softphone?

Is there any other place where I should put link to my phoneboo in XML format?
Or maybe I should prepare an xml DATA file with only one parameter - link to xml Phonebook?

I'm looking forward your advice...

Hi,

Be aware that every Phone type has its own phonebook formatting. You should look first on the phones's manufacturer web page to see the correct phonebook formatting. After you create the correct phonebook you have 2 options: put your phonebook in "C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning" folder for autoprovisioning with your phone or modify your phone template to point for the link of your phonebook.

@danhriscanu, thanks for answer.

I know that every Phone type has its own phonebook formatting, but I'm using only 3CX Phone for now.
Interesting thing is that there is no autoprovisioning template for 3CX Phone in "C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning".
Can anyone post it?

Hi,

Go in your PBX to Settings->Company PhoneBook and press generate button. It will create in specified location a file named "3CXPhone-directory.xml". This is the phonebook for 3CX Phone. You can modify this if you want and you will have to autoprovision your 3cx phone in order to get the phonebook from server.

@danhriscanu, thanks for reply.
Go in your PBX to Settings->Company PhoneBook and press generate button. It will create in specified location a file named "3CXPhone-directory.xml". This is the phonebook for 3CX Phone.
This is exactly what I did.

You can modify this if you want and you will have to autoprovision your 3cx phone in order to get the phonebook from server.
This is exactly what I need, but when I put string "http://192.168.1.205/3CXPhone-directory.xml" in 3cxsoftphone autoprovisioning configuration field 3CXSoftphone is not getting phonebook - in debug there is info: HTTP phonebook provisioning failed.

What should be enterd in autoprovisioning configuration field 3CXSoftphone?
If not link to 3CXPhone-directory.xml than to what and what is a template of proper "configuration" file?

In that field you shouldn't put the link for your phone book. This phonebook is downloaded automatically after phone provisioning. That field you should leave it blank if you have port 5060 as SIP port configured in your PBX - network section and your phone should appear in your Phones tab ready for autoprovisioning. And you have another option to put there the link of provisioning file.

You will find all the information you need here:

http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/3cx-voip-phone.html
http://www.3cx.com/blog/3cxphone/windows/configuring/

Hi Kermit
Provisioning 3CXPhone outside of the "3CX PBX environment" is not a supported feature, therefore is not documented - it may be changed in the future. But I will try to provide you a brief "guideline":

I told you the problem is the location: the "3cxsoftphone provisioning configuration field" is for DATA provisioning. If you check the PBX's provisioning folder structure, you will see that the provisioning DATA files are stored in /TcxProvFiles (with extension-specific filenames) while the PHONEBOOK provisioning file, 3CXPhone-directory.xml (fixed filename, common for all extensions) is located one folder up, in /provisioning.

To allow configuration flexibility, 3CXPhone holds only two references: the phonebook's file should be named 3CXPhone-directory.xml AND should be located one folder up compared to the data provisioning file.

Therefore, supposing you want to create a "centralized" 3CXPhone provisioning server on http://yourcomp.com, a convenient folder structure could be

Code:
yourcomp.com/
- 3CXPhoneProvisioning/
  - PBX-UnitedStates/
    - 3CXPhone-directory.xml
    - accounts/
       - account_100.xml
       - account_101.xml

- PBX-Germany/
    - 3CXPhone-directory.xml
    - accounts/
       - account_1000.xml
       - account_1001.xml
Then, in your 3CXPhone, a new account could have as provisioning link
http://yourcomp.com/3CXPhoneProvisioning/PBX-UnitedStates/accounts/account_100.xml

Hope it helps
vali

@ Vali_3CX

your explanation is very precise and accurate - I took me 1 min to proper setup my 3CXPhone.
Thank you very much for your help. This is exactly what I was looking for.
I simply didn't catch the trick that xml must be lcated one level up from cfg file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristianNetron
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.