Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

3CX Softphone Update

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by techdummy, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techdummy

techdummy New Member

Hi,

We are using 3CX 15.5 SP2 in our organization.
    I can see that SP3 is released and it is showing in the update tab of Management console.
    I haven't updated the system as of yet but today when we started up the 3cx softphone it is asking for update.
    It says "An update for 3cx client is available for download from your 3cx phone system".
    How can the softphone update be available in the 3cx server, if I havent provided the permission for update in the first place?
    Is it possible that the 3cx updated the softphone in the server side without me giving permission?
    Any thoughts from the 3cx team and fellow members?

Thanks

#1 techdummy, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. techdummy

techdummy New Member

Also, since we aren't updating to SP3 on the server side, will the Windows Client(updated to the Version 15.5.8801.3) work with SP2 without having any issues?

3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @techdummy

Please note that the client updates do not auto download without permission so someone had to manually downloaded them or the Automatic Update is enabled on the server.

There are no known issues with the latest clients running with SP2 but please note that this was not tested by us and it is better to use the clients that match your PBX version.

4. techdummy

techdummy New Member

Hi @YiannisH_3CX
    Thank you for the reply.
    I'm quite sure nobody has given access to download the latest update for windows client, as Im the only one who access the server, and if my line manager did access he would have informed me in case he has downloaded any update, and I know for a fact that the automatic downloads are disabled on the server.
    Plus, I see that I'm not the only one here who had the issue. Here is a link to the same issue reported by another user.

https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/windows-softphone-update-out-of-band.54232/

I did however use the provisioning file on a windows client which was updated to the latest version and get one of the extensions registered unknowingly. I'm not sure if that updated the database of the server and hence pushed latest updates to other extensions.

Thank you.

5. techdummy

techdummy New Member

Also, I haven't faced any issue with the latest windows client running on SP2.
    I have been going through the discussion here and I see that there are quite a lot of fellow users having not a good feedback about SP3, so Im reluctant to upgrade.

6. pact

pact New Member

While I believe your response, it is not what happened with this release. Several of our clients received the 8801.3 client update with no input from the management console, so it sounds like you need to look into what happened with the deployment this time.

Just cross checking our client base, clients with 15.5 SP1 have not received the client update. Clients with SP2 have and then SP3's obviously have.

Example A Client:
    Code:
    15.5.6354.2 - 3CX
    15.5.8801.3 - Softphone

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

I have re-installed a V15.5 SP2 so i can test and i haven't downloaded the client updates so i can troubleshoot. I will give it some time and see if the PBX will push an update to the client i have connected to it and report back.

8. pact

pact New Member

I've just investigated more installations and found the same scenario.

Code:
    3CX Version 15.5.6354.2
    3CX Windows client CTI 15.5.8801.3
    3CX Windows client CTI 15.5.8801.3
    3CX Windows client CTI 15.5.7262.2
    3CX Windows client CTI 15.5.6354.2
    3CX Phone for Windows 15.5.8801.3
    3CX Phone for Windows 15.5.8801.3
    3CX Phone for Windows 15.5.1694.0
    So they have a cross section of installed versions depending on if the user clicked 'yes' to the update.

But again users with the 8801.3

I've found 5 clients who are on the specific scenario of SP2 who have not had updates approved yet and have the newer 3cx client appearing.

I have another client still on SP1, and I can see in the updates window the 8801 build is available but not yet downloaded and no clients have downloaded it yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Do you mean that the client updates are still available in the management console but the users are prompted to update the clients to a the version that is pending for download?

On our side we were unable to replicate this behaviour. We configured different scenarios on SP2 installations but we failed to get the clients to auto download from the updates section.

10. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Please note that the expected behaviour is that the PBX should automatically download any client updates every Sunday. The reason why we could not replicate this behaviour before was because of an issue in the management console that was preventing the check to run on Sundays. Since SP5 this has been fixed so new client updates should auto download.

11. techdummy

techdummy New Member

@YiannisH_3CX Okay, thank you for the feedback.
    If this is the expected behavior, then it seems to contradict the "Auto-download" option available in the Updates page.
    Personally, we would like to be in control of all the updates that are getting installed in our system, or have an option to allow or deny the update rather than one being forced upon us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.