3CX Softphone with Desk Phone

Discussion in 'Windows' started by commplete, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. commplete

I am trying to get a desk phone (Grandstream GXP2000) to work with the 3CX softphone client.
    The softphone client reports the phone as 'Unknown'. It works fine in headset mode.

How does the phone communicate with the 3CX softphone ? Must the phone be on the same ip range ?
    I am clearly doing something really stupid .

Any help would be great.

John.

2. darrellchapman

The 3CX VoIP Client does not directly communicate with the DeskPhone. It communicates with the 3CX server to simply show you the status of other extensions (for paid versions of 3CX) or to allow you to initiate a call to someone (another extension, a dialed number in the client (<-- I need to double-check on this one), or Outlook thru the use of TAPI), or to show you the CallerID of someone who's calling you. The way that works is that the 3CX VoIP Client will send the request to the server and the server will then call you on your desk phone (you will need to pick up phone when its ringing). After you pickup, the server then transfers the call to the number you dialed in the 3CX Client.

Is that as clear as mud?

Darrell Chapman

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. darrellchapman

Sorry, I just re-read your post and thought of something.

Both the 3CX VoIP Client (softphone) and desk phone need to be pointing to your 3CX server. I don't think they need to be on the same subnet however, the client may get confused if it's not in the same subnet as the 3CX server. There is a config option in the 3CX server (don't quote me here) .ini file that allows you to add other networks that are still considered local (need to refer to documentation).

Please let me know if you require any additional assistance.

Darrell Chapman

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.