3CX, SPA3102 and Centrex

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rfsHugh, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rfsHugh

I know that this is an unusual/unnecessarily old fashioned configuration but my rural location prevents true voip and multiple lines.

I have 3cx configured with a single PSTN line using a SPA3102. 3CX is used mainly to allow simple local calls between extensions.

Prior to installing 3CX a receptionist was able to answer calls and then transfer them to mobile/cell phone numbers using the [RECALL/FLASH] button, dialing the cell number and replacing the hook. This made use of the centrex exchange pbx (featureline in the UK) features.

Is the same effect achievable in 3cx? I have read other threads of peoples struggles with the hook flash configuration.

My ideal configuration would be:

1) External caller makes incoming call on PSTN Line
    2) SPA3102 answers and routes to 3CX Digital Receptionist
    3) Depending on which option is selected 3CX will transfer the call to an extension which issues the flash command to the 3102 and dials the desired mobile number to transfer the call.

I know this isn't the purpose of using a pbx but it is not feasible for me to have extra voip or pstn lines to allow true transfers.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, hook flash, out, on the PSTN line (as far as I'm aware) cannot be passed from a 3CX extension. the PBX alone will recognise it. On a 3102 only a set attached to the FXS port, in a configuration that doesn't used the 3102 for 3CX trunking, can initiate a flash.

A number of years ago, I remember a standalone, timed flash button being offered for sale. The idea being that it would be installed next to, and in series with a telephone meaning less chance of a call disconnect as opposed to someone simply holding down the hook switch and hoping for he best. I'm wondering if something like this would work on the PSTN line into the 3102, if only one person were always initiating the transfers. This may end up dropping the call altogether if the 3102 is set to recognise CPC (momentary disconnect from the central office to indicate that the other party has hung up). But if that feature were disabled, without causing other issues, it might be worth trying using a normally closed push button in series with the PSTN line. This has not been tested so....

3. jasit

jasit New Member

not sure if it is an option or not, but we used the call forward on our centrex line and forwarded it to a voip provider, so all of our calls came in the voip line and then we had all outgoing calls out the voip provider and pushed the caller id of the original line with it.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, being in the UK, this would not only involve acquiring a VoIP line, they may have to pay per-call for the forwarding. The outgoing CID may not be changeable either, depending on the VoIP provider, and in-country regulations.

5. rfsHugh

Thanks for the replies. Leejor your standalone flash button certainly sounds like an option for a manned receptionist extension. Jasit subscribing to a voip provider isnt really an option for me as my DSL isn't reliable or fast enough to support the service.

Unfortunately it seems there is no way to automate this flash signal from the auto receptionist as I was intending to try and squeeze the most out of my centrex line.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, PBX trunks and Centrex lines, (along with many vertical services on residential lines) are not really meant to co-exist Most of the services are just not accessible in the "traditional" manner through a gateway. Centrex service in itself is usually sold as a PBX replacement.

When a business orders a PSTN line that is going to terminate on a PBX, the only options tend to be CID and perhaps call forward busy/no answer. Anything that requires a flash. or some special (star) codes is usually avoided.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.