3CX & SPA942 Second Line ringing

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by green_eggs, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. green_eggs

Hi all,
    Sorry, noob here so I'll do my best.
    I've just taken over an installation of 3cx with some linksys SPA942 phones.
    My problem is, when you are on a call, and another call comes in, you do not have the option to pick up the call after you have placed your current call on hold. You can pick up the other call from any other of the phones that are ringing.

In the SPA942 settings, I have added a secondary line key and tried setting it as Extension 2, or simply as a duplicate Extension 1, but both of these dont work.
    I have changed the Use Phone Status in Call Forwarding Rules on 3CX but that didn't help.
    I've also tried in 3CX, adding a Forwarding rule for the Extension I am on to divert on busy to the ring group I am on, but that didn't seem to help either.

I've done my best to find the answer, but I cannot find a solution that will work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. sipero123

Hi,

Have you tried the switch in 3CX to change whether the extension status comes from the phone or the 3CX pbx.

Jonathan Hamon

3. xxxomxxx

same problem on a Lancom 1724 with the SPA

4. thenua

Hi green_eggs,

In the vanilla sense its fairly straight forward.

However having said that, it does depend on how the SPA942s are currently configured and they could be anything but "vanilla" !

Let me give you the simplest scenario for the SPA operating on 3CX ...

• Line Key 1 is set to Ext 1
      Line Key 2 is also set to Ext 1

(Line Keys are aligned to the 4 lights down the right hand side.)

• Next, setup "Ext 1" to register with the 3CX.

Once successful, you should have the top two lights on the SPA942 turn green. The bottom two lights (aligning to Line Key 3 and Line Key 4) should be off on a brand new phone that hasn't yet been configured in any other way.

Finally, on the 3CX under the extension concerned, you need to go to "General Forwarding Options" and change the default setting for "Busy Detection Mechanism" :
      To : "Use Phone Status"

The fact you already seem to have two simultaneous calls being routed from the 3CX to the SPA942 probably indicates you have already done this. But its worth checking.

Thats it ! Now test it ...

The first call to the SPA will come through on Line 1 (Top Light) which will then turn Red once the call is answered.
    A second call will come through on Line 2 (2nd Light from Top).

When the second call comes through, all you need to do is press the coloured light aligning with the second call and automatically :
    • the first call goes on hold AND receives "on hold" music
      the second call is answered.

To go back to first call, simply press the top coloured light. This causes :
    • 2nd call to go "on hold" and receive music
      1st call to become the active call again.

The fact this isn't happening simply for you probably suggests there is some other (previous) configuration in place on the SPA.

Certainly if you take one handset and hit "factory reset" before applying the above, then the above will work.

Hope that helps.

Cheers & Good Luck
    thenua

5. green_eggs

Hi Thenua,
    Thanks for posting some help, however I have done a factory reset on the phone and done the setup you describe, however it still will not work.
    The steps i took were:
    - Factory reset on handset
    On System setup page of handset (to match current setup to make phone functional):
    - Change the Connection type to Static IP
    - Enter the static IP, Gateway and netmask
    - Enter HostName and Primary DNS
    On Ext 1 setup page of handset (to enable extension 1, matched from working handset):
    - Enter proxy address
    - Enter Display name, User ID, Password, Use Auth ID to Yes, Auth ID
    On 3CX:
    - For my extension, made sure Use Phone Status was checked.

So currently my phone display shows the 4 line keys on the right, all with my extension number and all with the phone symbol next to them - pressing any of these will get me an outside line.

For my testing, I made an outgoing call, which went through on the top light, however when an incoming call was placed through, no lights flashed and the call only rung on the other handsets that were not currently on a call.

Thanks again for your help, but do you have any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Sam

6. thenua

Hi Sam,

Well this one really stumped me ! I've spent a little bit of time exactly replicating your last Post and this is what I have found ...

Normally, when you call the extension that's Busy, it DOES work. i.e. Line 2 DOES ring.

However when I call the Busy extension using a ring-group (of "ring all"), it does NOT work !

It appears to be a quirk of the 3CX "Ring All" function that it WON'T ring an extension in the group if 3CX believes that extension already has a call. And there doesn't seem to be a way of re-configuring this.

The extension I set up to test your example was "11". (I use 2 digit extensions in my test environment.) This is a SPA942 configured as per your Post.

And, I setup a ring-group called "80" which also included extension "11" within it.

Ringing "11" twice from 2 different phones caused BOTH lines on SPA942 at extension "11" to light up.
    But calling ring-group "80" wouldn't.

However if I set Ring-Group 80 to have a "Destination if no Answer" as Extension "11", then when 80 times out, it then DOES cause the 2nd line on SPA942 at extension "11" to ring at that point.

You have certainly taught me something and I didn't expect it to be this hard for either of us.

In summary, it appears a Ring-Group will not causes Line 2 to ring. Only an Extension will.

Not sure whether the above analysis helps you. Also, I have not experimented with Hunt-Groups. Not sure what the behaviour there might be.

You have certainly taught me something new !

Cheers again.
    Andrew (thenua)

7. green_eggs

Thanks for looking into it for me Andrew, I'm glad its not just me going crazy.
    However I think I might have found a work around.
    In 3CX, I've set up a call forward on my phone extension, for the condition that the Phone is Busy. I forward it to my extension and it seems to then ring on the second line!
    I'm just about to set it up on a few other peoples phones and see how it goes. Hopefully its done the trick!
    fyi - i've also left the busy detection as Phone Status.

Thanks again Andrew,
    Sam

8. thenua

Hi Sam,

That's quite clever !

I was thinking of similar work-arounds myself. But I think the "call forward" idea is good.

I was thinking of more a complicated workaround that defined a second extension in 3cx for every phone. And then, on the SPA942 defining the second extension on line-key #2 (say). And on the 3cx also adding the 2nd extension to the "ring all" group. Then "Line 2" on the SPA942 would ring when-ever a ring-all occurred, not withstanding that Line 1 was already in use on a separate call !

But I think your approach is cleverer and easier to implement.

Glad to hear you are having some success.

Regards
    Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.