• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX Standby Server for Standard Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane Wong

Forum User
Reaction score
Hi;

I am using 3CX Standard Edition, I am trying to setup a standby server, in case of the primary out of service; I can easy to bring up the Standby server and shorter the length of downtime. In my test, my standby server is another IP address let's say 192.168.1.2 and the production server is 192.168.1.1. In my test, I restored the config file from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2 and shutdown the server 192.168.1.1, then change the ip addres on host from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.1. (I am using Debian 9 for both 3CX from 3CX image)

When I power on the standby, I found that some function is not working, such as 3CX mobile, the desk phone is fine. When I check the Parameter in Settings, I found that a lot of parameter is still using the 192.168.1.2 ip address, I think; because when I setup the Standby server withh 3CX Debian image, I was using 192.168.1.2 during setup.

In order to prepare a Standby server for Standard edition, do you have any steps or experience to share?

Here is my step to setup the Standby server.
1. Build a new 3CX server with Debian image
2. Provide the ip address 192.168.1.2 during 3CX setup
3. Restore the config file from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2

The standard version does not include failover.

You need Pro (6h DNS update for 3CX FQDNs) or Enterprise (5min update).

Yes, I understand the Standard does not support failover, in the event of my primary server down, to rebuild the server with backup is the only way?

Also, for the Pro edition, how does the failover work, when I look at the pricing page, the Pro did not check for Failover.

Last edited:
Hi @Kane Wong

Yes, I understand the Standard does not support failover, in the event of my primary server down, to rebuild the server with backup is the only way?

Also, for the Pro edition, how does the failover work, when I look at the pricing page, the Pro did not check for Failover.

1. Failover is when a backup server takes over when the main one goes down. Rebuilding from a backup is not considered failover, this is just a restoration.

2. If you are interested in backup restoration only, then failover is not required.

So depending on which way you wish to go, you may have to upgrade your license.

thank you.

Is it possible to use backup restoration procedure to create a cold backup server? In case of Active server down, I can turn on the COLD server to reduce phone service downtime.

If you are that concerned about downtime and have the resources for a 'spare' server it then you should be able to budget for a license to provide for failover, or you should already have the resources for a cluster or other resilient infrastructure.

Reactions: Nick Galea
If your hosting platform provides high availability of a virtual machine then it will handle restarting the VM on another node for you. This would assume some kind of shared or clustered storage.

3cx would not need any special high availaibility features as you are just running the existing VM on a new node in this type of high availability.

This is very common on VMWare vsan, XCP-NG pool, or Windows Hyper-V clusters. You do not always need 2 separate machines to get the effect desired. Doing a backup offsite is important no matter what, either use the built in backup feature to backup to google cloud storage or FTPS or similar storage to have the ability to restore to a fresh VM if your problem is a corrupt install. You should also backup your VM environment as having both types of backup is best.

But yes, having a VM image setup to the point where you would run the setup wizard to restore a backup would be just fine. Assuming the old computer is dead and not returning you could then restore your last backup, make the IP address the same as the old machine and resume operations even with Standard edition. Either change your DHCP server reservation or change the static IP on the standby machine to match old one depending on how you manage your internal IP range.

Having enterprise would give you the option of fixing the original machine and then failing back to the main one when it comes back online. But if you declare it dead you can just restore your last backup to new machine/VM and make sure you do not bring the old install back online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaayb512
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.