3CX stops answering inbound

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Dan Grodzuik, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Grodzuik

I've installed 3cx into our office. Everything is configured and working great and then all of a sudden there is no more inbound calls. Check sip registration, reboot firewall, and 3cx server still no inbound calls. Then I try to recover from the previous days 3cx system backup, and inbound calls start working again. I'm running 3cx on Debian Linux. Anyone experience a problem like this. BTW I'm a relative newbie to 3cx.

Dan.....

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Were there any changes made (that might affect trunking) since the backup you restored, was taken? Did you try restarting all services?

3. Dan Grodzuik

Well I’ve reboot the server so that would be considered a stopping and starting of services.

And the only thing I was doing was making option changes to my extension, re-recording my voicemail greeting, etc. Nothing related to trunking.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

How is the routing setup for the trunk? Does it ring your extension directly?

If it happens again, check the 3CX Activity Log just after trying an inbound call, to see what is happening.

#4 leejor, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  5. Dan Grodzuik

Inbound routing during business hours routes to a ring group that has 5 extensions. One of the 5 phones must be answered or else it goes to the operator voicemail. Outside of business hours it goes directly the operator voicemail. This problem happened during business hours.

6. Dan Grodzuik

Just checked the server log and right around the time I started having this problem, the server log has repeated errors like the following.

"STUN server stun2.3cx.com:3478 could not be reached (host name is not resolved). It could be that the STUN server you are using is down or a network problem is preventing STUN resolutions. This might cause problems if you use VoIP Providers."

Why is this happening and what does it mean?

7. Dan Grodzuik

Attached is part of the server log showing the stun server errors.

Attached Files:

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I have seen issues (logs) with the 3CX STUN servers in the past and it may mean nothing, or, as it says, there may have been a DNS, or other network problem at the time. Do you even use STUN? If you have a static IP, then probably not. Are there any other logs showing a failed registration to your provider, or, something else that indicates that there may have been an issue with network connectivity at the time?

9. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Dan Grodzuik

the first thing you should check is the firewall checker on the PBX and if that passes all tests successfully. Then at the time of the issue occurs if the calls are actually reaching the PBX. You could do this by running wireshark. On the latest version of 3CX you can run a capture from Dashboard / activity log. Then check the blacklist in case something has been blacklisted. Is this a register based provider or a IP based provider?

10. Dan Grodzuik

Firewall checker passes. I'm going to start watching the activity log closely. The provider of the trunk is a temporary provider and my current internet connection is only dynamic. I'm talking with another internet provider to get a faster connection and static address. Also will probably be going to ThinkTel as my trunk provider soon as I have a static IP.

11. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

That sounds good. Keep an eye on the issue and let us know of the results

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.