3CX & Teamviewer possibly causing issues

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by njp, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njp

njp

Hello,

So I have 3CX V15 SP4 running on a machine (Win7 x64), no firewall issues, all necessary ports open, and I've changed 5060 and the HTTP/HTTPS ports over to others for security (in the high 50000's and early 60000's) and made all reflective changes (Windows Firewall Inbound Rule changes, router ports, etc etc) so the Firewall Test within 3CX passes and everything necessary is open.

The entire system is now running perfectly, just as good as it was when using Elastix 4. Extensions set up, Yealink T42G phones provisioned (but not by PnP because this didn't work due to port changes probably - multicast didn't play ball). After my previous discussion regarding VOIP Gateways, we bought a Patton SN4112, hooked up the two hard lines, and inbound calls are now going to a chosen extension and everyone is able to ring out with a 9 prefix. All working fine! Very stable might I add for a first time 3CX user. Played around for hours with us ringing into the premises off our mobiles, colleagues taking calls, transferring around, playing with all aspects of the system.

....colleagues went home, we stopped playing with the phones, I got onto doing other things, and suddenly, at some point later when I did one last test to ring into the landline, the IP Phone wasn't ringing. The FXO line was blinking on the Patton Gateway which indicated somebody was ringing in, and it was also still connected to the PBX (LEDs solid green). But the call wasn't being routed to the IP Phone. Tried everything, restarted the machine, re-provisioned the IP Phone, factory restored the Patton and set the trunk up again from scratch to no avail.

I had a think back to what I changed over the last couple hours after everyone went home and the only thing I could think was that I had installed Teamviewer on the server machine (to add it to our account for remote access). On the offchance I quickly uninstalled it and then tried to make a call in and hey presto, the call is being correctly routed, IP Phone is ringing again and everything is fine and dandy!

Going to install Teamviewer again tomorrow evening to confirm that it was the issue but in the meanwhile has anybody else had something like this? Does it need to be investigated? I suspect it's tampering with something on the 3CX machine, either with the ethernet, a service, or there's a port issue.

Thanks.

2. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

What version of Teamviewer? We have Teamvierw 10 (host only) on all of our machines and no issues. Also, I believe Teamviewer has a VPN module or some sort of VPN capability. If that shows up as another network interface that could also cause issues with 3CX.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

from: http://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/installation-windows/

• Do not install VPN software on your 3CX Server.
    • Ensure that all power saving options for your System and Network adapters are disabled (Set the system to High Performance).
    • Do not install TeamViewer VPN Option on the host machine.
    • Disable Bluetooth adapters if it is a client PC.
    • 3CX Phone System must not be installed on a host which is a DNS or DHCP server, has MS SharePoint or Exchange services installed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. njp

njp

Missed that bit in the manual but thanks yes that clears that up. Will it be safe to use the Windows in-built Remote Desktop to access the machine remotely?

5. MRM

MRM

There is no reason why it shouldn't, please feel free to update the post to confirm everything is working as it should.

6. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

You can use Teamviewer just fine. You just need to disable the VPN option for that host. MS RDP will work fine as well. It's the additional network interface created by the Teamviewer VPN module that is causing the problem, not Teamviewer itself.

7. EasyComp Zeeland

If i may ask, why is the vpn of teamviewer causing trouble in the first place?

8. MRM

MRM

9. njp

njp

Windows RDP works perfectly as long as port 3389 is open (but redirected to a different external port obviously because 3389 is too well known for bots). And all external calls are still ringing in on the designated extension correctly.

I didn't have the VPN module installed and it still did cause the above issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.