• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX through MPLS or VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamino

Reaction score
Hello,

We are currently hosting a main asterisk pbx at HQ and several at remote branches. The branches are connected through MPLS or VPN and the main pbx with any of the remote ones are connected via IAX. We would like to replace all of them with a bigger one, loaded with 3CX at HQ and in remote branches to have only sip phones. Will it work? I have found many threads with relative issues.

If the have remote sites are connected via VPN to the main site, and the connections have enough bandwidth you should not have any issues.

Setup the 3CX at the main site, and configure the remote phones as LAN.

Reactions: Pamino
We have one centralize 3CX server at HQ and around 15 remote sites all remote sites/phones are connected through telco IP MPLS VPN and there is no any issues, it just works (all together there is 300 IP phone till now, and we are proceeding with 150 new phones in next few weeks).
On each site I have router and all phones are provisioned with option 66 (DHCP).

Also one isolated site has its own 3CX which is connected to central 3CX with 3CX bridge

After 3-4 years there was some problems with 3cx but after we migrate to Debian everything works perfectly so far.

Reactions: AH2 and Pamino
We do this with 7 sites including 1,500 phones. If you have the bandwidth, and the latency is low, then you should have no trouble provisioning the phones as "local" phones. Easy! Naturally this does create a central point of failure. If one of the connections between the remote site and the HQ goes down, they lose phone service. But you already know that. Make sure you have redundant routing paths where possible.

We have setup several such scenario's for clients, and as long as your connections are setup properly, it does indeed, just work.

Thank you all for your confirmations. By the way I will have to test it first because we have a fortigate firewall between HQ & branches.

If your setup is working with FreePBX/Asterisk, there is no reason not to work with 3CX.
Just create the same extensions with same password and use the same IP address for your 3CX system and phones will register to 3CX. No changes required on your firewall, the only difference is that 3CX uses UDP ports 7000-9500 for RTP, while Asterisk uses ports 10000-20000 by default.

There was an 3CX utility that allows you to convert your FreePBX or Elastix configuration to 3CX one.

Since it would be of use to us as well, if someone wants to provide an example freepbx/asterisk export, preferably in CSV, i could write a converter.

Also, replace IAX interconnections with 3cx bridges, 3cx tunnel is very similar to IAX, the port is TCP/UDP 5090 instead of the 4569 used into IAX (for configuration of the firewall).

Hello,

We are currently hosting a main asterisk pbx at HQ and several at remote branches. The branches are connected through MPLS or VPN and the main pbx with any of the remote ones are connected via IAX. We would like to replace all of them with a bigger one, loaded with 3CX at HQ and in remote branches to have only sip phones. Will it work? I have found many threads with relative issues.

Question, why not do Cloud ?

Fortigate should not be an issue. Setting up the policy and order is important. I had an ISP at a prior employment that used them. I could see the programming, but couldn't make changes.

Having low latency, that VoIPToys mentioned, important. Do a trace route between site devices and see if you get any slow hops. I got stuck on a tier 3 circuit after the 2013 East coast hurricanes, and had total latencies between 1,200mS and 2,500mS. Things just broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.