• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX to 3CX Bridge traffic, What is a 3CX tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog

Reaction score
I have 2 demo 3CX server boxes setup with a bridge through the 3cx tunnel....

I noticed that the lights on the switch they are both connected to start blinking like crazy when you establish the connection.

I did a packet capture to see what was in the packets.... it is about 4 bytes of data that is the same from the each server. If you change the Tunnel password on the 3cx it changes the contents of these 4 bytes....

CAn anybody tell me what this traffic is and why is it so excessive...?
ALso is there a way to tune so there is less?

Can anyone provide a technincal explanation of what the tunnel is and how it is used with the Master/Slave Bridge?

I also noticed that the slave server re-registers with the master server about every minute according to the server log...

CAN this be changed?

Thanks!!!

Hi Bigdog.

I noticed this a few days ago myself. I was going mad trying to work out what was using traffic on an adsl connection which we've dedicated to voip. Nothing in the logs indicated that there were any calls going on yet I could see constant traffic on the link. Setting up some port monitoring on the dmz and monitoring with some sniffing software showed that the traffic was all coming in to port 5090 tcp from my home network. I saw the same repeated pattern. Overnight there was ~60mb of traffic. Disabling the 3cx tunnel service has halted the deluge.

I've since advised Staff that the 3cx tunnel option is only to be used in emergency situations and am considering disabling it altogether. Over a month with a few remote users this is likely to push us over our traffic limits on this connection (we have those in Australia) and would dramatically reduce our call capacity. It's particularly unfortunate that the traffic appears to be produced by the service even when the voip client is not running. Way to auto ddos :).

There's nothing in the documentation that suggests that the 3cx tunnel should be constantly transmitting. Is this a bug, feature or misconfiguration?

Mick.

Yeah, the tunnel mode generates a LOT of traffic. I would recommend avoiding that method for the moment. I have seen the same results. implementing a VPN or other solution for conectivity to avoid using the tunnel is best currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.