3CX Tunnel App gone

Discussion in 'iOS' started by SimonCC, Jul 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonCC

Hi

I note that the 3CX Tunnel app has now gone from Itunes UK, is this correct?

I can only seem to get the Iphone to app, when on the local LAN, won;t work remotely. This is why I thought I would try unsing the tunnel mode, then found the app was no longer their.

If I can't use tunnel mode, can anyone confirm the firewall ports needed.

2. complex1

complex1 Active Member

The 3CXPhone for iOS v12 can work remotely and around the whole world, even without the Tunnel App.
    You have to open the firewall ports 5000-5001 (TCP), 9000-9199 (UDP) and 5060 (TCP/UDP)
    Just keep in mind that a lot of mobile operators will block VoIP (SIP) traffic what is not theirs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SimonCC

Thanks for the response, but isn't Port 5000 used by the web management console, so if you open that up, you then expose access (although password protected) to the admin system.

4. complex1

complex1 Active Member

Yes, you are right.
    Both ports 5000 (HTTP) and 5001 (HTTPS) are used by the web management console.
    So you have to set a very strong password and change the username if you want to be safely protected.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bawingz

Anyone know why the app was pulled and what my options are? I am using 3CX v12.

6. maconceicao

For port forwarding shouldn't 5060 (TCP/UDP) be enough?
    Why do we also need 9000-9199 (UDP)?

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This lists all of the ports requiring forwarding depending upon what features you are using.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/ports-used/

8. shiftlogic

Please correct me if I am wrong but i was under the impression that opening the traffic on 5060 was a very bad idea. I understand the app can work if you allow everyone access to my pbx but that is not what I want to do. I have multiple iPhone users that are unable to work remotely because this app was removed from the store. Even the current Securing Hints suggest using the Tunnel (Updated July 1, 2015 http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/securing-hints/).

Does anyone know when/if the tunnel app will return to the App Store as that was previously a great solution to keeping the system secure? If it is gone, what can be done to secure remote users using IPhone?

9. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

The tunnel app was pulled - and maybe at Apples request - because the v14 softphone has a built-in tunnel. Apple generally does not allow the same company to have multiple apps with the same functionality (from what I have heard). However, you should note, the v14 app is only compatible with 3cx Phone System v14.

The ports below are important for remote users not using the tunnel.
    Port 5000 - used for Presence info and phonebook. You can keep this closed if you are concerned. 3cx will ban IP addresses after several failed attemps so may not be the deal breaker you think it is.
    Port 5060 - needs to be open for registration.
    Ports 9000+ - needs to be open for audio streams

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.