3CX Tunnel features

Discussion in 'Android' started by lorenzoboss, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lorenzoboss

Any news about the "tunnel" features in the android client ?
    I'm implementing a new PBX, and i would like to know when will avaiable this features in the Android client, so i can decide how to implement the project.

Does exist and other softphone with this feature compatible con 3CX PBX ?

many thanks in advance

regards
    Lorenzo

2. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

3CX Tunnel support is not available on the mobile platforms yet. In most cases the 3CXPhone is still usable without the tunnel.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lorenzoboss

Hi Kerry,
    thanks for your quickly reply, yes you’re right is still usable without, but the tunnel is a very nice features, is more secure, just need to open a single TCP port on the firewall etc.…
    This is the reason why I and some other people are asking for this!

So, no news and no date?

Thanks
    Lorenzo

4. jcasares

Yes, it's a quite useful feature and not having it might be a no go for some of us.

5. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The 3CXPhone for Android is free.
    You can choose to use it or choose to use another VoIP Appplication which may also be free on the 3CX Android Market.

The Tunnel for the 3CXPhone has no ETA at the moment.
    You can try SIPDroid if the 3CXPhone won't cut if for you :|

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MHernandez

Hi KerryG,
    Just how usable is it without the tunnel?
    I think if you use a mobile VoIP solution is because you are using it from outside your network, otherwise just use a desktop phone or 3CX on a PC, which supports the tunnel.
    But perhaps I'm missing some configuration here, since I just cannot connect using 3CX for Android over 3G (or Wi-Fi from any other network I do not own – pretty much when I need the mobile solution, right?) to my 3CX system (yes, of course it’s behind NAT, like any other implementation would be).
    So it may sound absurd, which I think it is, but I currently use a facility that works with 3CX on Android (callcentric) and have my 3CX system connected to callcentric as well, so I can have calls redirected to callcentric and vice-versa, but this is just a nasty dirty workaround to overcome software limitations, like the lack of Tunnel support on Android.
    I guess that, yes, it is just barely usable.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Just my two cents worth..
    As it stands, from my experience, the Android application works as well as a stand-alone VoIP WiFi phone (I've used three different make/models over the last several years, and never at home), that I have used in the past, minus the Voicemail indicator.

For me it does not work with 3G (it connects , but no audio), but that may be my provider. In the past, with a VoIP WiFi phone alone, I found it to work on 99% of unlocked hotspots, that did not require you to open a web page and agree to terms of use. This is the same "success" rate I've experienced with the Android 3CX phone. The tunnel would be nice as it may allow the phone to work with 3G, which would be great, if it works, but at this point, without testing it, it still isn't a guarantee.

Unless the provider or your particular Android phone has done something to block VoIP WiFi calls, which it doesn't sound like since you can use it with another provider, then 3CX phone should be just as usable, with WiFi as most other standalone VoIP WiFi handsets.

If you are having an issue using the Wifi aspect at hotspots, and the none are working when set up to connect to your 3CX PBX, then you may need to review your settings, both on the phone and at your home network/firewall. In most cases (at hotspots), it should work.

Have you tried connecting any other remote extension (wired) to your PBX, does it work?

8. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I will throw in my 2c worth too.

My 3cx for Android works great! So well I have cut my minutes on my cell phone plan to the bare minimum. I can make and receive calls through my 3cx pbx locally, nationally and internationally.

For those whose provider blocks rtp traffic (should not be so much of a problem on LTE) you can try various VPN clients for Android which would be similar to tunnel. I prefer OpenVPN as we run that on our servers anyway but that is a personal preference.

So in answer to the original question - it is very usable without tunnel.

9. kylejoe1

Tunnel is needed period, needs to be consistency with the 3CX Client accross all platforms.

I have a newer HTC Droid Inspire 4G with AT&T and they block SIP, but as long as my home wi-fi is running, works fine, have to disable STUN too and use SIP option for DTMF.

SIDE NOTE: AT&T blocks downloading apps not in the Droid Market, go figure.

10. abc123

abc123 Active Member

But the client is free and so resources to improve it are limited. It was really released as a feature add for the 3cx pbx licensed users - some of who would need the tunnel feature. But can hardly blame 3cx because AT&T block a feature that other providers (Verizon at least) allows.

And on a Thread drift: Cant you download via your pc and then upload to the droid? There is a setting in the droid to allow non market apps to be installed as that is how we test our apps. Wonder what AT&T will do when Amazon launches its Droid marketplace. Funny how Google doesnt complain but AT&T does (hence they are not my provider - too much like apple and want to control everything)

11. kylejoe1

Just saying..as a fellow IT person. The 3CX Mobile app needs to work. Avaya and others have a mobile solution, even voicemail to text, we're looking at 3CX as a replacement from Avaya (aka...give us all your money). If 3CX wants to attract those using Cisco, Shoretel or Avaya (us)...and be a player....time to get serious. We have several business reps that work the streets looking for business and to be able to not give out their cell phone and take calls without getting a notification call from the Audix voicemail system after the fact...priceless. We want to be a licensed customer. Right now...it is just a gadget play app like Angry Birds. Sorry boss, they'd have to find a wi-fi spot or logon to the Droids VPN first then..."get the f out of here!" he'd say. I would not release the App until 2.0, maybe have us on forum test it out but don't put on website or Market until it is Killer, not Filler.

Funny...those nifty dudes at AT&T removed that little non-market setting on the phone. Don't go with AT&T if you are a beta Droid app tester. Verizon blocks other SIP apps, at least on my Blackberry Curve 8530.

There is a PC app you can load and transfer, we just found out last week. We are trying to test a mobile app without launcing on the Market. But with the latest news from Google catching some malware apps last week, guess it proves that Jobs was right. Someone needs to check these apps.

12. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree. I would like to see 3cx deliver 2 versions - free and paid and the pbx license holders get the paid version included.

We develop droid apps and the sdk has a great emulator for testing. And you are saying that under Settings and Applications there is no "Unknown Sources" check box? AT&T removed it? That makes it impossible to test any android apps on AT&T. I would seriously take them to task on that as it affects your business.

I am not aware of any sip apps Verizon blocks as I have a few on my phone (Fring, SipAgent, and some others) but they are all pre-3cx so not sure about them any longer. Verizon has the network backbone to handle the volume whereas AT&T take the cheap route. For example LTE is going live in our area. Verizon have fiber backbone from the cell towers, AT&T (who are using the Verizon engineers to install the LTE and backbone) are putting in bonded T1s. So you know who is going to be able to handle the larger capacity. Verizon has the best business model in this situation - let users do what they want and make them pay for the data = lots of money, vs AT&T dont let users use it and make no money (though no cost either).

13. kylejoe1

Right, lure em in with Lite version, then snag em with Pro version (but offer 30 day trial) with tunnel, maybe Conference button too.

Yep, AT&T took it out, figures, I get their first 4G Droid and they pull that stuff. I compared to folks with HTC Evo 4G from Sprint, they have it, I don't.

14. joepmaas

Presently use/advise a Counterpath Bria app that I happlily paid about Eur 6 for, but it works fine including audio-settings and the likes. I take part in their Beta Program for the next version, and like the responsiveness....

Me and my customers would happily pay same or slightly more money for a true-blood 3CX V2 app that not only solves the crappy sound issues, but also supports the long promised and awaited tunnel.

As I already posted in Ideascale, PLEASE get the businesscase right with a paid version, and devote some serious engineering time to this to get it to market before summer....

And 3CX please note that Android is rapidly overtaking Iphone as the leading smartphone OS...

Looking forward to a soon and realistic ETA :?: .

15. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Just a small update on this.

We took a small break from fixing Android Issues and focused on the iPhone Version of the 3CXPhone for a while, thanks to that we have isolated what is causing all these audio/registration issues everyone's having and have started working on the 3CXPhone for Android yet once more.

There is no available timeline on when fixes will be available, but i'm very sure it will definately be before summer for sure.

As i was saying, the iPhone version of the 3CXPhone was suffering from the same issues like registration problems and sound issues, we have finally managed to fix them ALL afaik, and basically are trying to implement the same fixes on the Android Version, so i hope you won't be waiting too long for a new version of the 3CXPhone.

16. kylejoe1

That's good news, we are on the fence about 3CX (currently using Avaya), we really need the Call Center Module (call back feature) before we invest.

17. joepmaas

Hi Leonidas,

Coooool! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Herewith volunteering to act as beta testbed when needed :roll:

18. kylejoe1

Android needs higher priority then iPhone, our web states show a 4:1 ratio and we're a financial inst.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.