Solved 3CX Update 5 - Client Upgrade Error

Discussion in 'Windows' started by greg@summitrad, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greg@summitrad

We recently performed the upgrade to Update 5 of Version 15. After we did that, our users began getting a notification that there was an update with 3CX for Windows started. That upgrade is not working.

I thought perhaps it was a rights issue (our users are no all Machine Admins) but it doesn't' even work when the user IS a local admin. I've attached the error to the message for you to see. Essentially is is complaining about one of the Google DLL libraries (Google.GData.Client.dll) being use by another processing. We don't use Google or GMail for anything. So it's baffling why it would be in use.

We did attempt to perform upgrades using the MSI file distributed with 3CX for Windows V15 Update 5. Even with the most recent build from the 3CX downloads page, It still it asks the users for an update, and when it tried, it still fails with the same error message.

Any help would be appreciated. (I'm open to being the one doing something wrong as well, so don't worry about hurting my feelings.)

Attached Files:

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

it seems like 3cx is OPEN - perhaps minimized to the point that it is only in the Notifications Area and not on the taskbar.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. greg@summitrad

That was my initial thought. Because this upgrade is coming from the 3CX for Windows Client, it has to be started in order to prompt the user to initial the upgrade. But when the 3CX for Windows initiates the upgrade, it kills the client. I not only watch the tray, I also looked for any 3CX Executable to be open in Task Manager. These PC's have only a single user, so it is not open under another user accounts either. A couple of users have the CRM Client installed, so we made sure to close it as well.

We disabled our Anti-Virus to make sure it wasn't holding a file open as well. No luck.

We also had our users do this first, before opening any program (I can duplicate this error on my personal workstation as well). We still get the same error. I have had a few different reports now where we are getting a different DLL error (ssleay32.dll, Telerik.Windows.Data.dll, and swscale-2.dll).

This happens even after a fresh reboot on both a fully patched windows system, as well as some that are a few weeks behind on patches. (Trying to find any differences).

4. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @greg@summitrad

What windows are the clients running on? Also is .net installed and up to date?
    Check if C++ 2015 redistributables 2015 is installed for both x64 and x86 bits.
    Make sure that the PBX server does not have any antivirus installed

5. greg@summitrad

I figured out the root cause. Turns out, it was our Anti-Virus. I'd setup all the exclusions, and even excluded the entire 3CX for Windows Directory. It was the active protection that was killing it. I disabled that temporarily and the upgrades worked for everyone.

6. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Glad to hear the issue is resolved and thank you for sharing your solution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.