• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX V11 MoH line in source questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

axiom

Reaction score
So I have been playing with 3CX V 11 in our office and WOW there are some awesome new features. The one we have been excited for is the option to set up a Line-in for MoH. My question that I have been searching the internet for and yet to have found a solid answer is this. Is it legal to stream local radio stations as MoH? How about Pandora or Last.fm? I know I have called many companies before who have streamed local radio stations but was unsure if there was a fee they paid to do it legally. Can anyone here point me to an answer?

Although not always the correct answer this wiki has some good information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_on_hold

Whether it is legal or whether you will be in any trouble streaming radio stations are two different things. A lot can depend on how copyright law is enforced in your country and who complains that you are using music that you may or may not have paid for. I remember a ruling coming out a while ago that stated that it was illegal for businesses to use radio stations as background music in their offices because royalties were not being paid on the music, and it was being used in a commercial environment. While true, I have not yet heard of anyone pursuing it. Don't forget, it's not inexpensive to sue someone although it might send a shudder through the small businesses that have a radio station on as background music.

If you are a business that wants to appear professional, to your customers, don't use a local, commercial, radio station as your on-hold music, it says "I'm cheap and just plugged the phone system into a radio".

Besides, you don't want to risk your customers hearing a commercial about a sale at one of your competitors, do you?

Unfortunately, it's difficult to answer your question without knowing which country you are are based in.

For the UK, you need both a PPL (Public Performance License) and a PRS (Performing Rights Society) license in order to play any modern music, but you might only need one license (PPL) to play Classical music from a composer who has been dead for over 70 years ago.

There's lots of information on the matter at http://www.callcentrehelper.com/music-on-hold-do-i-need-a-licence-6.htm.

This is why most companies in the UK stick with Royalty Free Music or have someone compose something purely for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itguys04
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.