3CX v12 Email Error: The remote name could not be resolved

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ahodge7, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahodge7

Hello,

I've searched through the forums here for a while, and I can't seem to find anyone with the same issue. When sending the Welcome email, I get "Failure sending mail. The remote name could not be resolved: avenicus.swishmail.com". This started happening, seemingly, without any administrator changing a thing. I've verified the Username and Password and the Mail Server field has no typos. I'm still a novice at this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Adam

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Could it be a DNS setting on the host machine or network?

3. ahodge7

Would that change how emails are received from 3CX exclusively? I'm still able to send and receive emails just fine, but just not send emails from the 3CX Management Console.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So...you are able to send emails from the same machine hosting 3CX? If that is the case, then, (what I would do) is to take out all of the email server settings in 3CX. Use a different server completely, Gmail, if you have to.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/gmail-mail-server/

Does that work? If so, you know that 3CX is working.

Put back the settings for your original email server.

Does that still fail? If so, it might be your settings?

5. ahodge7

Sorry for the time it took to reply. I tried testing this with gmail as the mail server and I get the same error, which leads me to believe that something is stopping 3CX from communicating, but only the email service. I've been looking through the options to see if there was anything else possibly affecting where 3CX is being pointed, but I just can't seem to find anything.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So...nothing was changed, on the network/system, just before this began happening? You aren't running any additional Firewall hardware/software?

Have you tried running the 3CX Firewall Checker to see if anything else is affected?

It sounds as if a specific port is being blocked, or connection to the DNS server.

I suppose that there could be corruption in the programme, but if everything else is functioning correctly, its unlikely, and a complete un-install/re-install, of 3CX would be a last resort. If it were a setting problem, then it would just be moved to the new install with the restore file.

Do emails (that you've set-up), regarding 3CX "issues" (log reports) get through?

How many devices have you tried sending the welcome emails(s) to?

7. ahodge7

Before getting that deep, I had one other quick option that I can't believe I didn't try up to this point. Our modems and router just needed restarting. I put the settings back the way they were and we had connection. Thank you very much for the help in troubleshooting this, I just wish I thought of that before getting this far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.