3CX v14 with Patton 4114 and Comcast Business Voice

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pcclosure, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcclosure

We have done multiple setups with 3CX v14 with a patton 4114 fxo gateway using Comcast Business Voice. This is the first time weve had an issue. any internal calls (extension to extension) are perfectly clear, no issues. when an outside caller (and vice versa)(caller A) calls someone in the office (caller B), the audio quality is complete garbage for caller B, but crystal clear for caller A. we have spoke to patton, they said everythign looks good with the gateway, we spoke to 3cx, they said everything is good with the 3cx, check with patton (already done) or with your telco (comcast). comcast says their arent any issues. we've adjusted gains for input/output in the patton, but still, the issue persists! can anyone shed some light on this?? everyone is pointing fingers!

2. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I am just going to suggest the first step anyone should do when there is audio quality-related issues on an analogue Gateway, try disconnecting the Patton completely and try connecting a new RJ-11 cable with a plain analogue phone, then make a call.

If the call has the same quality, then call Comcast again.
    If the quality is OK, then focus on Patton and 3CX.

Do not neglect checking the analogue cables! I once had any issue myself and I was kicking myself for 3 days until I finally found that it was a faulty cable.

3. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

Also make sure the analog cables are not wrapped around each other they can interfere with each other at times.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pcclosure

THank you both for the replies. we are still trying to troubleshoot this. we are scheduled to go back onsite next week to further review. to re-cap what weve done already -

swapped router
    swapped switch
    swapped patton
    wiped 3cx server completely and reinstall.
    swapped comcast phone modem
    plugged 1 phone, 3cx server and patton into a new router with absolutely nothing else on network

we will try swapping out analog cables from patton to comcast phone modem. comcast came out yet again, 3rd time, and said they have other tickets in the area with call quality issues. now this was over a week ago and good 'ol comcast hasnt responded at all and the issue still is there.

now the strangest thing, is that the call quality is perfectly fine for the external caller, just garbage for the person in the office using the phone system. i would think that if it was any kind of cable, etc, the quality would be bad on both ends? am i missing something?

we will swap out analog cables and also make sure they arent wrapped around eachother - which they could be.

5. pcclosure

Still no luck with anything. have swapped out analogue cables, moved the comcast phone modem away from everything to avoid interference. still bad. not that bad on the cisco spa 303's, but horrible on the polycom vvx 400's. going to try and get comcast out again, but theyll probably say nothing on their end. any more suggestions?

6. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I do not recall having seen the results of the suggestion to simply connect an analog phone to the Comcast eMTA. This would surely give a clue as to where the problem lies - on their end or on the 3CX end.

I am uncertain why the router was changed. If there are no phones remote to the system, then none of the RTP streams left the local LAN and therefor never traversed the router.

If internal calls are fine, then so are the switches. The system does not know the difference between an internal and external call, it is simply data that it is pushing along to/from the phones.

Having swapped out the Patton and still getting the same results either points to the quality of the analog line(s) or to the settings of the Patton, which I assume were replicated between the units. I suggest that you check 3CX trunk settings, the Patton and the phones and select g711u and g729 as the only available CODECs. You will likely need to get into the web interfaces of the devices to be certain. Was 3CX used to provision the gateway?

While normally not needed, you might also try and turn on PBX provides audio under the gateway settings in 3CX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.