3CX v15 resetting listening port

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by James_LTS, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_LTS

Searching out there I came across the following thread:

https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/sip-trunk-going-over-non-5060-port.48546/#post-196531

This is very similar to an issue I have just encountered and was hoping there would be a resolution/solution without reinstalling the PBX.

Just a few moments ago (around 1/2 hour or so) the PBX decided to listen on port 2187 rather than 5060 which is where it normally listens. This caused the phone/extensions to not receive audio and/or connect to outside numbers. Restarting the server resolved this, for now. The system is a Windows Server 2012R2 VM running on ESXi 6.0u2. This (currently) is the only other VM on the ESXi host where the only other item running on it is another low usage VM. I was present when the port decided to listen elsewhere and not continue to listen on port 5060. Testing the firewall prior to this resulted in a clean run. Afterword it showed the listening port changed from 5060 to 2187. Nothing on the system was changed apart from modifying the CDR for a specific type of output. Everything was working just fine until the change.

Was there any resolution to the above linked thread? Is there something specific I would need to look into in order to keep this from happening again? I'd rather not schedule a system restart weekly in order to keep this from happening again so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

2. James_LTS

Since there was no definite cause to this happening on a Windows 2012R2 server I have resolved the issue (for now) by a twice monthly restart of the server. This is by no means a real solution, just a workaround for now until something can be done to resolve this issue.

Thanks for reading.

3. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hey,

does the MMC under settings -> Network -> Ports show you the changed port?
    If not, in a CMD type

netstat -ano | find "5060"

the process ID at the end of the lines, compare this in the task manager details to the SIP Server.
    Are they the same?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. James_LTS

When I dropped to a command line it showed that the server was no longer listening to 5060 at all. Only the previously mentioned random port of which, of course, did not connect to the SIP trunk provider. After rebooting the system did it change back. Not even a restart of the 3CX services corrected this issue as it 'thought' it was listening to the proper port.

Currently I'm looking into updating/upgrading the VMWare vmxnet3 drivers with the latest VMWare tools (10.1.7) which may help alleviate this issue. As they are just released (2017-05-18) and I have not updated my VMs with the latest drivers. So far with the bi-weekly restart of the system itself I have not replicated the issue. Previous to that it was in service for months prior to it having the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.