• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX Version 8 Features?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmigliozzi

Reaction score
If this info is already posted please redirect me to the right place. I am currently using Version 7 which is working fine except for forwarding calls to external numbers its not capturing the Caller ID. I was told by tech support this would be fixed in Version 8 and be configurable to pass the correct data along. However, before I upgrade my software and uncover other problems I want to hear from the forums on what everyone is seeing in Version 8. Is it stable? Should I expect any bugs or problems? Has the forwarding to external numbers and presenting the correct Caller ID been resolved? Also curious to know what new features are in version 8 and if those would convince me to make the change. I tend to be a person that doesn't fix something that isn't broke and don't want to upgrade just to be fighting with it for weeks to get it just right again.

Thanks

The new features in v8 make it worth the while for me such as the new follow-me rules, queue prioritization, instant messaging in 3CX Assistant, and a number of other new features. Some of the main new features are at:
http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/3cx-phone-system-v8-beta-available/

Don't forget that your VoIP provider has to allow this for it to work.

check by yourself. No one know your system better than you.
Simply backup your system, put a new hard disk on your computer, install windows and 3CX and restore your configuration.
See if you really like the new version.
If you don´t like or have more problems with this version simply switch again to your old hard disk and nothing have happened.

abundisnet said:
check by yourself. No one know your system better than you.
Simply backup your system, put a new hard disk on your computer, install windows and 3CX and restore your configuration.
See if you really like the new version.
If you don´t like or have more problems with this version simply switch again to your old hard disk and nothing have happened.

Why would you need to put in a new hard drive and reinstall Windows? Just backup your configuration, uninstall v7, install v8 and restore the config. If you want to go back to v7, uninstall v8, reinstall v7 and restore the configuration.

Thanks everyone for the info. I know that our provider, BroadVOX, supports the Caller ID header thingy (sorry for not using the correct technical terms). Could someone tell me how to configure 3CX to actually do this correctly? I know that I need to go into some of the advanced options but don't know the fields I need to modify to make it work. So basically the way our system is set up is we have a main trunk number from BroadVOX. The call comes in on this number and hits the Digital Receptionist. Based on the extension the user picks the call follows the rules I've set for each extension. Since we are a virtual office all of the extensions are basically offline and the call immediately is forwarded to an external number, one of our mobile numbers. What has been happening is that any call that flows through shows up as Unknown Caller on our mobiles. I want this to show the correct Caller ID. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

In effect what you are asking is that the outbound call from your VoIP provider to your mobile phone presents a number that's not owned by the VoIP provider.

I'm based in the UK and this behaviour is at worst illegal, or at the very least highly unethical and frowned upon. What you are doing is spoofing a number.

Whilst the use you mention is pretty legitimate sounding, if VoIP providers were to do that it could give rise to widescale fraud - for example, some people could ask a VoIP provider to present the number of a high street bank and then call all their customers asking for personal info - some people would give it (I know!) based on the fact that the CLI displayed correctly.

We had a similar situation with one of our clients recently and our VoIP provider flat out refused to do it on these grounds.

Paul

Obviously this practice, or legality, varies from country to country. Many VoIP providers do allow you to send out a caller ID that you, or they don't own. I've used an LD provider that allows me go to their web site to send out what ever number I want as I don't actually have a phone number with them, only outgoing service. ISDN (PRI) based PBX's have been able to send out their own number(s) for years.

Completely agree with Paul's post.
Everybody likes to provide "mimic" Caller ID but nobody likes to receive it :)
...mimic IPs, mimic MACs, mimic e-mail addresses, mimic internet links, mimic people...

It is the paradoxical situation - the useful information (caller ID) becomes the "spam" (because it is not the real caller ID) :)

Is 3CX now getting into the law making business in addition to the PBX business?

Are you guys trying to fix societies problems by not implement what your consider to be "unethical" features even if the feature is provided by the trunk line provider?

Do you really consider someone wanting to get ACCURATE caller id on their mobile from a forwarded call unethical? Yes this same ability could be used to set caller id to anything in order to obscure your identity, so what? You can also use your PBX to make calls scamming people in various ways, what next will all calls have to go through a call center at 3cx for content review to make sure its up to your ethical standards?

Caller ID is not designed to be authentication mechanism at least in the US and is able to be submitted from a PBX BY DESIGN. To get accurate subscriber information there is the ANI system which is what 911 and law enforcement use but is not available to the public.

I don't think he's saying that at all, in fact because of customer demand, this feature is now working in the new version, for most users.

Caller ID is not designed to be authentication mechanism at least in the US and is able to be submitted from a PBX BY DESIGN.

Don't tell that to the cell phone providers, they all use it for authentication into their voicemail systems.

All, this is why sometimes I get so frustrated with forums. I don't care what the legal practices are in other countries or whether or not it is ethical. I was under the impression that this capability was put into v8. BroadVOX told me that they do pass along the Caller ID in one of their headers and that they were working with 3CX to have this capability available in v8.

So, can someone answer my question? How can I configure v8 to push the correct Caller ID from the originating call to the forwarded numbers, ie cell phones? I am going to post this in the tech support forum also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad.k
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.