3cx version 8 restore taking too much time

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by johnmichael, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnmichael

hi guys,

i am currently running a restore backup wizard but it is already running for few hours. I am not very sure on what is happening. Could someone please kindly give me an advice because i am setting here on my desk for few hours just waiting for the wizard to finish.

Here is the scenario. Previous 3CX V8 is running fine on Win2008. I had a full backup. Turn on the new server, Win2008r2, install the 3cx version 8 and on the wizard, i load the backup which i just created. And I am currently in Finalize, Save Configuration and heres the other things

Starting primary database service..........Done
    Creating configuration database............Done
    Importing prompt set information..........Done
    Starting secondary database service.......Done
    Restore previous configuration.............In Progress...
    Starting up core services

And i am stuck on this status for hours now. CPU Utilization is zero(0%) and 1 postgres.exe *32 process is bouncing from 1% then 0% CPU utilization.

Any help/suggestions will be highly appreciated :(

Thanks in advance,
    Regards, John

2. johnmichael

I've been trying to isolate the problem for almost a week now without any success and without any reply.

I tried removing voicemail from the back-up and now my back-up zip file was reduced from 300+MB to 80+MB now but still i am having the same issue, restoring already took more than an hour as of this posting and still in progress.

Anyone has done back-up and restore on version 8?

Any suggestions/recommendation in doing the back-up and restore?

TIA,
    John

3. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

It sounds like the backup might be corrupted. I have recently had a similar problem with a V10 backup. Initially I put it down to an incorrect version, however after trying both both beta versions and every production version except sp5 I had to accept defeat.

4. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

I'd attempt to backup again i the working config is still in place if not an the file is corupted you may have to start from scratch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. johnmichael

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.

What i plan now is to have a very basic backup, only the config and ivr, just to try whether it will work.

BTW, is there any links from 3CX for a guide on how to do the proper Backup and Restore?

And lastly, since database is part of the backup, can any of you guys guide me on how to maintain the database or delete old records that we don't want?

Thanks in advanced guys.

6. carci

've been trying to isolate the problem for almost a week now without any success and without any reply.[​IMG]

7. johnmichael

@carci
    I managed to restore my backup but i was not very sure how long it took for the new server to restore the backup as i let it run for almost 24hrs.

Having a project for disaster-recovery plan, i doubt having to restore your backup to the new server for longer than 6 hrs is not an option.

I am still trying to find a most viable solution whereby I can migrate to new Server in case existing Server is down in a minimal downtime.

What i have done so far to reduce the size of my backup is not to include voicemail and recorded conversation which has around 85MB, i am left with primary setting and database backup. I am now eager to clean up the database and delete all the old records so that the backup will further reduced.

Any input will be appreciated, thank you in advance.

8. johnmichael

Ok, quick update, i managed to backup and restore from old server to new server in just 2 to 3 minutes only but what i include in the backup is only setting and ivr.

Now, what i would like to ask is how can i clean the database to delete old record. I managed to access the database but since there are too many tables inside, i am not very sure which table to clean.

Is there anyone who have done this before, can someone please advice me?

Thanks in advanced.

9. unoa

I think its not recommended to start messing with the DB and thats probably the main reason that noone knows how to do this. Disaster recovery means to give back the base functionality (so settings + IVR). Recordings and stuff should not be a primairy need, only establishing calls are.

10. johnmichael

@unoa, yeah, i guess you are right, disaster recovery should just provide the base functionality and we've decided to continue on backing up base settings only.

On the other thoughts, i was quite surprised that no one ever looked at and managed 3CX database. Maybe the way we use 3CX is not just the functionality of the phone but we do data mining.

Anyway, i'll stop this thread and i would like to thank all who have given their ideas. Thanks a lot.

11. unoa

I agree on you we should be abble to manage the Database, maybe in the future when 3CX keeps on developing they will bring up a DB cleanup tool to erase old settings and remove call logs globally untill a specific date etc. This might be a good feature request :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.