3CX Version 9 Which Services Can I Disable...?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by LEDAdd1ct, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LEDAdd1ct

Hello!

I am using 3CX Version 9.0.15781.949 on Windows XP SP3 with Enhanced Write Filter enabled.

I am using a small 2GB flash disk and I have barely enough room to squeeze the required DOT Net Framework 3.5 on the system.

These are the services running on my computer related to 3CX:

[​IMG]

The program is used with two Polycom 335 telephones.

I currently have two SIP endpoints, one in my downstairs and one in another room downstairs.

I use the program to facilitate G.722 calls, and that is all I use it for.

I am looking to disable services that are not needed to free up RAM.

I disabled the "FAX Server" and the "Tunneling Proxy" because I am fairly confident I do not need those.

I also disabled "Voicemail Manager" because I don't need voicemail.

What else can I disable?

Can I disable:

—the "Conference Room"
    —the "Digital Receptionist"
    —the "Media Server"
    —the "Parking Orbit"
    —the "Queue Manager"

?

I cannot upgrade to a newer version of 3CX because there is not enough disk space for me to install a newer version of DOT Net.

Further, this version does everything I need it to (officiate reliable G.722 calls in both directions with no echo or lag) for free.

I don't want to break anything, but I also do not wish to "pay" in terms of memory usage for those services I do not require.

I have tried many Windows programs, and this is the only one that reliably allows both SIP endpoints to make and receive calls with G.722 given the hardware constraints I face.

I am a computer hobbyist, not a business, and while this program does/can do way more than I need it to, the fact it is free and works well is good enough for me.

Thank you for the help!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Some, in your list, are self explanatory, as to their function, so if you don't use them, you should be good to disable. Disabling the Media Server might cause problems (I can't confirm).

Until you stop them from re-starting in Windows Services, they will restart after a re-boot, so worst case scenario is the you have to re-boot to "fix" anything that affects how you use the PBX.

3. LEDAdd1ct

For my purposes, simple SIP phone calls throughout the house,
    do you believe it would be safe to disable the following:

—the "Conference Room"
    —the "Digital Receptionist"
    —the "Parking Orbit"
    —the "Queue Manager"

?

In other words, what, exactly, do these services do?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

They are self explanatory. If you use those services, you are already familiar with the terms, if not, then you probably don't use them. Do some searches through the 3CX site. Those features are explained, in detail, in a number of places as well as the current PBX manual. Download it and have a read.

As I said previously, if you disable a service, it will only remain that way until a system reboot, UNLESS you also disable it in the Windows Services of the OS. So if something stops working the way it should, simply re-boot, or manually restart the service.

5. LEDAdd1ct

They are not self-explanatory to me, i.e., their function is not immediately clear to me via reading the words, which is why I asked.

However, I took your suggestion and did some poking around and will attempt to disable all those services.

I will post back with a new screenshot with the disabled services and report what is/what is not working,
    so that others may benefit. :)

In case anyone else is interested in replicating my build, here are my system specs:

—HP T5745 Thinclient (about 8.75 to 9.00 watts at idle)
    —computer is run headless with no keyboard, monitor, or mouse attached, only RJ-45 network cable
    —Windows XP SP3 slimmed down with nLite
    —Enhanced Write Filter enabled
    —3CX Version 9.0.15781.949
    —DOT net 3.5 SP1 installed
    —static IP address
    —NetTime 3.14.220 installed to keep clock accurate

http://timesynctool.com

—Shutter Lite 3.6 installed to automatically reboot computer at 4:23 A.M. to clear RAM and keep things fresh

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shutter.html
    http://www.den4b.com/?x=products

—UpTime 1.03 to keep track of how long the system has been up

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/uptime/

—QtWeb portable web browser

http://www.qtweb.net/

All of these tools are freeware/shareware and in conjunction with 3CX make a beautiful, simple, reliable box for my home SIP system.

My only complaint is the high power consumption; technology has advanced since the HP T5745 was released and there are now boxes out there that will do this at 4.5 to 5.0 watts at idle.

Finding one cheaply, well, that is another story.

I am currently using two Polycom 335 SIP phones exclusively with G.722 codec. I would like to add one more SIP phone in the kitchen, but I am not quite sure where it would go.

It sure beats shouting around the house, and makes a fun little project!

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

While a few forum members are using 3CX for non-commercial use, most have it installed as a business tool. As such, power consumption takes a back seat to functionality and reliability. Version 9, that you are using, is old. Most have moved on to at least version 11, or 12.

The latest versions require Win 7, at a minimum, and a 64 bit OS. Memory, and hard drive capacity (depending on features used), have also increased. About the smallest system I would try installing a very basic set-up on right now is an HP Steam 200, and I may try later in the year.

In other words...

You're still driving a 1969 Volkswagen bus, and are excited about the fuel economy that you are getting, while most others have moved on to a Tesla.

Don't get me wrong, If version 9 does the job for you, great. But not knowing the terminology of some of the (not so advanced) features of the PBX, many, which have been around from the beginning, is a bit surprising.

As I mentioned earlier, have a read though the manual, even one from the latest release. It will give you a good idea of what all of the features, in your list, actually do.

7. LEDAdd1ct

As a home hobbyist, I have three criteria:

—it is cheap or free
    —it works
    —it works continuously

1) I already had the HP thin client from a previous project = No additional cost

2) Unlike the other Windows-based SIP PBX programs I tried, this one works well with reliable two-way audio/two-way ringing = It works

3) Even after having the system up for hours, it continues to work = It works continuously

As a home hobbyist, I have two choices, Windows or Linux.

The Linux choices which are small using Asterisk are very barebones and lack a GUI.
    The Linux choices which do have a GUI are very large and won't fit on my flash module.

Hackers, tinkerers, those who like playing with technology...get excited when we can conjure up something that works very cheaply or for free.

I understand that 99% of the user base of 3CX are medium to large businesses with very deep pockets.

I am exceptionally pleased that I found something that hits all three of my criteria and I definitely appreciate the help.

I think our difference in perspective is due to the different ways we view the software and how we intend to purpose it.

Thank you again for all your help. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.