3CX VoIP Phone - internal & external use

Discussion in 'Windows' started by netarch, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netarch

Hi all,

I'm new to 3CX Phone System and so far, I have configured 3 extensions using 3CX VoIP Phones (ver 3.1.6288.0) on 3 separate computers. I'm running the latest version of 3CX Phone System, v7.1.7139.0. Calling/receiving between extensions internally is OK. I now wish to test the 3CX VoIP Phone from outside the network i.e. as an external extension.

Questions:
    1. do I need to configure the 3CX tunnel in order for this external extension to work? If yes, what do I need to look for e.g. port numbers?

2. is it required to use the tunnel for all external extensions?

3, or can I just configure in the 3CX VoIP Phone's "Connection Settings" window, "I am out of the office - extern IP XXXX of PBX" ?

4. do I need to have fixed IP for my broadband connection for NAT purposes? Currently, I'm using dynamic IP connection to my ISP. If I cannot obtain fixed IP address in the near future, can the external extension still work over a dynamic IP address?

5. can the 3CX VoIP Phone in the notebook be configured with 2 instances i.e. one instance each for an internal and an external extension, so that when in the office, I can use the internal extension and when outside, use the external extension ? Otherwise, do I just configure as in #3 above?

Thanks so much in advance. :mrgreen:

ian

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Ian

1-4 - For external extensions, the PBX address should be specified into the "I am out of the office - extern IP" field. There you can specify PBX's IP or address. Then, using tunnel is recommended when you have firewalls, to simplify port access - basically you will have to open only 5090. When using tunnel, into the "Local IP of remote PBX" you have to specify ONLY IP (usually, this is provided by the PBX admin) As an example, if you want to connect the PBX on my machine using tunnel, you will have to specify www .3cx.com into "I am out of the office - extern IP" field, and 10.0.0.32 into "Local IP of remote PBX".

5 - You cannot run more 3CX Voip Phone instances simultaneously, but you can define two profiles (or connections) on its settings, one for internal, and one for external PBX, and switch to them accordingly.

Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. netarch

Hi Vali,

Thanks for your reply. Will test it out. BTW, I found similar info in the 3CX VoIP Nuggets.

Another thing I wish to clarify with regards the 3CX VoIP Client and the 3CX VoIP Phone. Is the 3CX VoIP Phone supposed to supercede the 3CX VoIP Client cos the link to the 3CX VoIP Client, http://www.3cx.com/downloads/3CXVoipClient.msi cannot be found. ?

Regards,
    Ian

4. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Voip Nuggets are very useful - at least this is my opinion - and I recommend them to be viewed.

About Voip Client / Voip Phone - our official softphone, at this moment, is the 3CX Voip Phone, Voip Client is no longer on development and updated according to PBX's evolution. Basically, 3CX-specific features implemented in the old Voip Client were moved and extended into a dedicated application, the Call Asssistant, while Voip Phone has been designed to be a simple, common softphone (excepting its integrated 3CX tunnel, it is not 3CX-environment-aware). On these common features, it has a lot of fixes compared to the Voip Client, and several new were added. And, of course, there is place for adding more in the future.

Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. netarch

Thanks again Vali for your response.

I am getting a VoIP gateway to connect to analog PSTN lines and will test it with 3CX. Will contact you if I hit any problems, though I hope not. The model I'm getting is the Patton SN 4112 - 2 FXO unit.

Regards,
    Ian

6. andy123

I am very new to VOips i just want to know that the pbx must be from 3cx adviced or it might be from any other comapny

7. discovery1

discovery1 Member

You can download the 3CX software from the 3CX site, but it will run as the free version when you install it.
    To buy a commercial license of the 3CX server software you have to purchase it from a reseller in your country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.