3CX w52p multiple accounts provisioning

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ITSDBVerpPortal, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ITSDBVerpPortal

Dear 3CX,

My apologies for the English.

I have the following remark about provisioning the W52P Yealink phone. I think that we (even as a lot of other VoIP resellers) use the Yealink W52P for multiple accounts on the same base station. So the extensions Eric and Peter use the same base station.

In 3CX we can autoprovision the W52P only for one user on the main account of the W52P. Assigning a second extension to the phone isn’t possible because the MAC address is already in use and there is no option to link the extension to a certain account in the phone. Only “account 1” is used.

Wil this be adjusted in the future or do we need to continue manually setting up the phone settings.

with kind regards,

Daniel Pardoen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The same is true for most of the phones. The issue is that most phones are capable of supporting multiple accounts and not all accounts will be set-up the same from a feature point of view, or for that matter a SIP point of view.

I don't speak for 3CX,but my opinion is that it becomes incredibly complex to develop a provisioning page that will deal with all the variations that any of the supported phones might support when the manufacturer's use a single MAC and the phone is assigned a single IP. What is different are the extensions, credentials, and perhaps the ports in use per extension, but most (not all) of the features of the phone are global.

The complexity comes into play when you make changes to one account (extension in this case) without impacting the functionality of the others that might also be active. Provisioning is done at the hardware (MAC) level, so the provisioning screen in 3CX, would need to somehow contain all the phone's variable attributes for all the accounts the phone is capable of supporting and then present them as a "whole" such that you don't accidentally change something that is initially set for account 1, when working with account X without at least having the awareness of the setting and making the conscious decision that the change needed by account X is more important than account 1's setting and/or that no harm will be done to account 1.

Now then, take every phone supported by 3CX and develop custom screens that allow for the full and complete programming of each and then maintain them for subsequent firmware changes and/or feature enhancements and you can see how complex it all becomes. Of course, it would largely eliminate any need to manually program anything, but I would not hold my breath.

This is why 3CX now allows for multiple phones to be assigned to a single extension due to each phone having a different MAC.

3. DJHiP

Lets hope with 3CX and Yealink's recent partnership announcement they work on this.

It certainly is a huge fundamental change to 3CX to allow multiple extensions inside the one phone so it's not something they can easily update.

I too have a set of W52P and W52H's which I will have to manually provision (just like all the other DECT based phones) as there is just no way to setup a provisioning template to account for multiple extensions dynamically.

Thanks to Yealink we are one step closer to getting auto provisioning but not just yet it seems..

(And there isn't any easy way Yealink could fix this either as they cannot present 5 MAC addresses on the one network interface without running some kind of virtual switch which would likely make the product no longer feasible anyway).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. microtronx

Is something new available in latest 3cx for Dect Systems with multiple accounts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.