3CX Windows Client and the Microsoft Surface Pro

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Trent Hamilton, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trent Hamilton

Hi all,

I've had a number of recent installations of the 3CX client, and whilst most of them are working perfectly, every installation on a Microsoft Surface Pro running windows 10 has resulted in the client having poor performance.

Trying to place a call results in the app hanging for ~10 seconds with the typical white-out "not responding" being displayed and then recovering.

A google search has shown a few other results where people are experiencing odd things when the client is installed on a surface pro. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

I've tried several devices, all with the latest patches, removing and reinstalling all the pre-requisite Visual C++ redistributables, disabled AV etc. nothing's worked so far.

2. dab

dab

3CX Client is running perfectly on my Surface Pro 3.
    Do you have the problem only via Wifi or Ethernet? Tested with Dockingstation?
    Original Image or self installed, if self installed, upgraded all Surface Drivers from Microsoft download page, not Windows Update?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Trent Hamilton

So far this issue has only shown up on Surface Pro 4, although I don't have a SP3 to test with.

The problem exists with Wi-Fi and ethernet, and tested with and without the docking station.

The original image is being used. The drivers are those that come pre-loaded with the image.

4. dab

dab

Interesting, sorry I don't have a SP4 for crosschecking.
    Hopefully there are other SP4 users in the forum!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

***Trying to place a call results in the app hanging for ~10 seconds with the typical white-out "not responding" being displayed and then recovering.***

Try this and let me know what happens. Disable your Camera Device on the Surface Pro and try placing a call through the 3CX Client, does the issue continue?

6. Trent Hamilton

Yes, disabling the video device seems to have worked. Bizarre.

7. Trent Hamilton

However, that only worked on my Surface Pro 4. My customer has a SP4 and disabling video calling has not resolved the issue.

8. Marcus Sommer (CMO)

Same Problem here with my Surface Pro 4. If i want to dial with the 3CX client i got the problem that the client freezes for about 10 seconds. Although if i want to cancel the phone call. If i disable the Surface camera in the Windows 10 device manager everything works fine.

If i use the 3cx client to remote dial with my grandstream desktop phone everything works fine. I got the problem only if i want to dial with my 3cx client in softphone mode.

9. Trent Hamilton

Ok, I've tested and disabling the camera in device manager works for both Surface Pro 4's. The downside, of course, is that the camera is disabled... It would be nice if 3CX addressed this issue.

10. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

We are aware of the issue with the camera and were able to reproduce it internally.
    We'll be fixing this for SP2 of the 15.5 PBX.

11. Trent Hamilton

Thank you most kindly. Can you please tell me the ETA for SP2 of the 15.5 PBX?

12. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Unfortunately an exact ETA for this is unavailable. Keep an eye out on the 3CX Blog for new release updates.

13. 3t

3t

Hi,

I did a script that correct the issue for Surface 4 until 3CX resolve the issue.

It's very simple disable and enable the camera after each login then it's working since next reboot.

Attached Files:

• 3CX.zip
      File size:
      281.5 KB
      Views:
  14. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Just disabling the camera option from the client's settings manually will do the trick. Unfortunately we haven't had much luck with this issue. Looks likely that a fix for this will unfortunately not make into SP2.

Also driver stability on Surface Pro's doesn't seem to be that great. Seems many people have issues with the camera in general. Any fixes we'l be doing for this would really just be a workaround for a problem present on that specific device. Technically this is something that should be properly addressed by fixing the camera drivers on the manufacturer's side.

Looks like people with a camera driver version from this and below have issues in general with the camera: 30.9600.6887.247. At your discretion if you're able to upgrade your device's drivers to something newer that is more stable, that could fix any issues you have.

#14 LeonidasG, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  15. 3t

3t

When you say "client settings" you mean "3CX client settings". it didn't work for me else i had not spent an our doing this...
    And with my trick you can do a video call after that...
    Just disable the device and re-enable it in device manager... that so strange...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.