3cx windows phone app - ports

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Dekor, Jan 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dekor

I have setup the 3cx windows phone app for work on my Lumia 950 running windows 10 and have opened the config file for settings etc.

Noticed a strange problem, the app registers fine via mobile data and my work WiFi connection. However on my home WiFi network it fails to register. Strangely on the home network connected a PC connected to the same router (Virgin Superhub 3) can connect fine using the 3cx windows desktop client.

I also tested the mobile app at a friends house, again with the same ISP but running the older Virgin Superhub 2 and the problem is present there as well.

In trying to troubleshoot last night I tested accessing my company's out of office tunnel URL from web browser on the working PC and this resolves, however on my windows phone it fails when connected to the WiFi.

So the issue is obviously relating to the Virgin superhubs blocking the traffic on WiFi for some reason. I tried disabling the firewall on the superhub but alas made no difference.

I want to setup firewall rules just in case this may help, what are the full list of ports required for the windows phone app? Failing that I will try setting the superhub to DMZ to my mobile to see if that allows the app to register. Failing that then looks like I'll have to set the superhub to modem only mode and use a separate router for providing connection to my LAN/WLAN.

Thanks in advance!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Is there an entry showing the attempted registration in the 3CX Activity log? If so, then that will show the IP and port that the phone want to be "reached" on. It should be a public IP of the router. There could be a problem (conflict) with the port assigned to the device if the Virgin routers themselves make use of the same port, perhaps for "internal" purposes, especially if it includes a built-in ATA.

A one-off device behind most routers should not require any forwarding rules in the router. If you have access to a "test" router, then setting the Virgin hub to bridge mode, using the modem only, would quickly show that it is the cause of the problems.

The fact that you don't have issues at other hotspots, that are not Virgin Superhubs, sort of points to them.

3. Dekor

I assume by 3cx activity log you mean server side? If so, I'll need to speak to my 3cx admin.

The strange thing is that a windows 10 based PC running the 3CX desktop phone client works fine whilst connected to the superhub via ethernet. I may test a windows 10 PC connected to the superhub via WiFi to see if that fails as well, least then I'll know if its WiFi rather than the the windows phone app.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As I recall, the port, assigned to the 3CX client is done automatically, but can be changed. I just wonder if the port that was assigned to the Lumia is in conflict with one that the superhub (or some other device on the local network) uses, so that any reply from 3CX would never be received. You could try changing that port to see what happens. On "portable" devices that will be used over "other" networks, i generally make sure that the local ports is something above 5070 as 5060, 5061, and perhaps 5062, etc. may very well be in use.

5. Dekor

completely forgot about testing tonight, just launched the app on my phone and its connected! Strange as hell, will just have to monitor I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.