• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX with Patton 4960 at Remote Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

thodgen

Reaction score
I have a remote location from the 3CX server that is connected via a VPN connection. At the remote location, I have a Patton 4960 with PRI. The hope was to have calls from the remote location use the PRI for outgoing calls so they didn't use the WAN connection for outgoing calls.

I've noticed that 3CX documentation states the Patton 4960 must be on the same subnet as 3CX. With the VPN in the middle, we are not, and really can't be on the same subnet. However, this network design seems ideal from a call perspective - keep the trunks local, use the pbx for call setup only.

Between the networks are Barracuda F100NG firewalls

Calls from UA's at the remote location are able to call out, and the calls go out the local Patton - however, the calls are anchored to the 3CX - so they effectively go across the VPN twice - once to 3CX and then 3CX back to the gateway before going out.

I'm not clear why 3CX is anchoring the call, and why the call is not setup as a ua-ua phone to gateway call.

I'd love to find someone who has done this successfully so I can do a stare and compare of the two configurations to see what I might be missing here. Or if anyone has suggestions as to what might be wrong with the general design and configuration, I would gladly take your suggestions.

I suggest you call Patton as I believe it should be possible as well. My guess is that 3CX is simply not in a position to "support" (meaning as to advise, instruct, etc.) on how to configure all the various configurations of firewall makes and models to accommodate more complex setups such as yours.

I suspect that at the very least 3CX is having to do the initial negotiation between phone and itself and then itself and the Patton. However I cannot speak to the audio streams. If PBX is set to deliver audio then yes, it will be the in-between guy here as well. You might try to turn this aspect off and see what happens. 3CX has to be in the middle to some degree as the outbound rules come into play and conceivably you may have more than one route. You might ask Patton about this aspect as well.

I have many setups like this and this is not normal behavior. With a patton at your remote location and calls from your remote location setup to go out that patton, 3cx handles call setup but RTP traffic is simply between the phone and gateway.

the PBX delivers audio option is not set by default if you let 3cx generate the configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.