3CXPhone and OPAL (Ekiga) one-way audio

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by RomanSk, Jul 10, 2007.

1. RomanSk

Hello All,

I got problems with OPAL/SIP and 3CXPhone - when calling from OPAL to 3CXPhone audio is only one-way.

The problem is that 3CXPhone doesn't understand 101 format at beginning of m=audio:

m=audio 5000 RTP/AVP 101 3 0 99 98 2 97 108 96 7 100 114 104 105 106 102 103 107

But correctly processes:

m=audio 5000 RTP/AVP 3 0 99 98 2 97 108 96 7 100 114 104 105 106 102 103 107 101

I would assume that this is 3CXPhone issue.

Regards,
    Roman Skvirsky

2. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Note, it is forum of 3CX PhoneSystem.

Anyway, what is a "101 format" and how to understand it correctly?

Thanks,
    Stepan

3. RomanSk

Do you recommend me to post 3CXPhone issues to Ekiga maillist?

101 format is SIP telephony event specification. When is it first preferable in the audio specification - 3CXPhone doesn't open audio for receiving.
    When first preferable is any audio format like 3 (GSM) or 0 (PCMU) it works OK.

4. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Yes, I recommend you to ask Ekida support about issues related to 3CX phone. If they don't support it, then choose proper "softphone" for your OPAL PBX.

Also,
    check RFC 3261 and 3264. There is lot of information.
    Legacy version of 3CXPhone, you mentioned, has some issues related to SDP negotiations, but you still can configure it to work with any PBX.

P.S. Try to use 3CX PhoneSystem instead of OPAL. May be you will find it useful. :)

5. RomanSk

Ekiga, SY, Ekiga.

I have issues with 3CX Phone not only with Ekiga, but with several other SIP clients. And the problem is not in those clients, but in 3CX Phone. I even perform 3CX work to find out the root cause.

Frankly, I am not happy with your reaction - my goal was to make 3CX system more compatible with existing SIP environment.

And I am 100% sure that there are PBXs with which 3CX Phone is not compatible due to implementation issues of 3CX.

Following the above I can't recommend 3CX for my clients.

6. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Roman,

Sorry for misprint, sure it is "Ekiga".

I just informed you that 3CX PhoneSystem is not related to 3CXPhone.

In some combinations, 3CX phone can produce asymmetric RTP streams (means different codecs will be used in different directions). In some cases it produce problems if other party of call doesn't understand it.

You also found additional problem :) , but you have workaround - just put telephone-event to the end of payload list. It will resolve problem.

Anyway, if you put telephone-event on the top of payload list then it looks very interesting from RFC point of View:
    RFC3264 last paragraph of page 11.
    In your case - telephone-event is most preferable format :)

Thanks for you attention and sorry if I said something roughly :)
    Regards,
    Stepan

7. RomanSk

OK, thanks.
    Then I hope that 3CX Phone developers reach this info.