3CXPhone for Android Bugs/Concerns

Discussion in 'Android' started by loganss, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loganss

I was a big fan of SipAgent and I'm hoping 3CXPhone can improve on its architecture. I have a few bugs to report and some concerns to voice so I figured this forum is the best place to voice my views.

My Setup
    Hardware: Nexus One
    Software: V2.2 (Froyo) Build FRF91 (unrooted)
    VoIP Config: N1+3CXPhone+ipcomms+GV Dialer+GoogleVoice

Concerns
    • No Changelog to 3CXPhone versions published in Market
    • If someone sends an email to the Market email listed, reply. I sent an email asking for a changelog and got nothing. Even a redirect to here would have been better than nothing.
    • Direct people to this forum and not just your generic VoIP page that's not specific to Android

Bugs
    1. This bug not present for v1.1.13
      When in vibrate mode, 3CXPhone doesn't vibrate for an incoming call and it rings through speaker
    2. This bug not present for v1.1.13
      When in vibrate mode, 3CXPhone still outputs sound when pressing numbers on keypad
    3. 3CXPhone keypad screen -> Menu button -> Profiles -> Menu button results in 3CXPhone showing a constant "Waiting for profile, please be patient" popup with no end in sight if a user doesn't push a button. Luckily using the back button exits this
    4. When first opening 3CXPhone (process started in Android) with my current VoIP config audio out works but audio in doesn't. (i.e. Caller on the other end can hear me but I can't hear them). Once you end the call and retry audio in/out typically works. Issue not always repeatable and doesn't only occur when first opening 3CXPhone.
    5. This bug not present for 3CXPhone v1.1.10

• The following was a SipAgent bug but I don't have the ability to test 3G and Wifi together like I used to:
      • Set your cell to use 3G
      • Open 3CXPhone with a profile that has Enable 3G checked
      • Receive a 3G SIP call to make sure 3CXPhone is working ok
      • Hide 3CXPhone by hitting Home button
      • Turn Wifi On, which should turn 3G off
      • 3CXPhone still has the green icon in status.
      • Attempt to receive a Wifi SIP call. Nothing comes through. I tried several times.
      • Quit 3CXPhone and reopen it
      • Attempt to receive a WiFi SIP call and now it works.

Same thing happens when going from WiFi to 3G
    6. 3CXPhone hijacks the physical volume buttons when it is in the background and doesn't allow a user to change the media volume with their volume controls. I don't mind if 3CXPhone does this in the foreground but it shouldn't do this in the background.

Feature Requests
    1. The button to change from earpiece to speaker phone is not obvious. Many users will probably think that there is no way to switch from Earpiece to Speaker to Bluetooth. I recommend that you make that button look like the other buttons on the keypad. No point in showing the word Available. Instead of On Hook maybe Registered/UnRegistered/Ringing/Connected
    2. If call comes in while user is in Profile settings, take the user to the accept call screen automatically, and once call is done, return user to Profile settings page.
    3. Add a Mute button. Maybe this and hold button can be linked. (i.e press hold button and prompted for mute or hold
    4. When you press the menu button in the main 3CXPhone screen, don't use grey text/icons since in most software greyed out buttons/text equates to an unclickable button

That's all I can think of for now.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how 3CXPhone evolves :mrgreen: .

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We will be looking at some of the things you reported and get back to you on things that we confirm as issues. Please also note we uploaded a new version yesterday.

The change log link can be found here:
    http://www.3cx.com/blog/change-log/3cxphone-android-build-history/

We can not reply to all the emails - this is a free phone and is provided as is. However i agree that we should configure an auto reply explaining this. Note that the phone is still in beta.

The 3CXPhone page has links to the 3CXPhone for Android documentation ( http://www.3cx.com/blog/3cxphone/android/) and also to these forums.

All Android builds are tested on wifi and 3G and with several VoIP providers. As such if you receive one way audio, check with your VoIP provider and check your network config.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to hear your experiences with the new build!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

We are uploading a version that will have this fixed soon.
    I'll let you know about the others when i have more info on them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

points 1, 2 and 3 are issues and we will fix them. We agree that we should observe vibrate mode = silence at all times.

We think that on point 4, you might need to exit and start again. or it could be a network issue.

Thanks for the update on this.

5. loganss

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Yeah, even an auto reply would be nice for the email address listed in the Market. Something telling users that many emails come in each day and they are processed in order of receiving them and not all emails will be replied to. And maybe links to your help documentation and these forums.

Bug 4) is definitely not a network issue. It's happened on several different networks.

Once I have the time to check Bug 5) i'll reply back on my findings.

6. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If you have nexus 1, 4 coming to think of it could be a keep alives issue. Issue is already open.

Can you confirm that keep alives are being set every so often *(check keepalive section)

If not send me wireshark cap so I will add it to the list. nb@3cx.com

Thanks

7. loganss

These are my settings:
    Code:
        * Profile -> blah
        * Account -> User =ipcomms SIP username
        * Account -> Password =ipcomms SIP password
        * Account -> Internal Server =
        * Account -> External Server = sipconnect.ipcomms.net
        * Account -> Stun Server =
        * Account -> Advanced -> proxy=
        * Account -> Advanced -> port=5060
        * Account -> Advanced -> regTimeout=3600
        * Account -> Advanced -> keepAlive=60
        * Account -> Advanced -> DTMF Method = In-Band
        * Account -> Advanced -> Enable NAT=false
        * Account -> Advanced -> Enable ICE = false
        * Integration -> Lock Wi-Fi = Always
        * Integration -> Proximity Sensor = false
        * Integration -> Enable 3G = true
        * Integration -> Redirect normal calls = false
        * Integration -> log Call records=true
        * Integration -> Record Calls =false
        * Audio Settings -> Echo Cancellation=false
        * Audio Settings -> Silence Detection=false
        * Audio Settings -> playBuffer= -1
        * Audio Settings -> recBuffer= -1
        * Audio Settings -> micGain=1
        * Audio Codecs -> PCMU/8000=true
        * AudioCodecs -> PCMA/8000=true
        * AudioCodecs -> GSM/8000=true
        * AudioCodecs -> speex/8000=true

What is the functionality of the keepalive option? To keep the network open/active on a Xsec intervals? Would it be better if it were set to zero? What keepalive setting do you recommend?

Hmmm ... since you mentioned wireshark (wifi network analyzer) and implied that the nexus one has an issue in this area, IIRC I've only every encountered bug 4) with a WiFi connection. That's good to know.

Also, In my N1 phone Settings-> Wireless & networks -> Wifi settings -> Menu button -> Advanced -> Wi-Fi sleep policy is set to Never so that even when my phone sleeps I stay connected to WiFi

8. loganss

I confirmed that bug 5) doesn't exist in the latest build of 3CXPhone. I was using 3CXPhone on WiFi network, tested a call (experienced bug 4 tho), turned off WiFi to switch phone to 3G, 3CXPhone icon turned yellow/red, after a few seconds it re-registered using 3G network, made a test call successfully, and went back to WiFi to make another test call and it worked.

I tried a varying the keepalive value in hopes of not experiencing bug 4) but with no success. It's actually pretty consistent so you guys should be able to reproduce it. I've experienced that bug on multiple WiFi networks. Luckily I can work around bug 4 by just making a test call the first time i register 3CXPhone on a wifi network so it doesn't make 3CXPhone a deal breaker.

9. dgpete

Hi there,
    Wonderful app and I am glad to have found it! I have played with it since you posted it and so here are a few minor bugs on my Sprint Hero, Android 2.0 tho:

1. If I accidentally press the # key as the first character I get a Force Close every time.

2. Once the app is started the screen never dims so holding it to your face gets me a lot of beeping keystrokes and kills the battery very fast. Funny thing is that on the Profile page the app dims/times out as it should.

3. This has been mentioned: Pressing Menu while on the Profile screen get me a popup that says Waiting for Profile, please be patient..." which never closes unless I hit BACK..

4. no way to use headphones. Someone said there is a "hidden" or had to find headset button. if there is I cannot find it!

5. This is all with the latest update (I think) since one cannot find a version number since there isn't a Settings type menu nor an info button...

6. not a bug really but when I press the CALL button (the handset logo) if I have not yet typed anything, I am taken to a very weird screen that has a small keypad to the bottom right with three lit buttons across the bottom of a dialing keypad but instead of the *, 0, and # each button has a horizontal bar light: red, orange and green, that do nothing but turn on and on upon pressing. The header of this page is "Recordings" The interesting thing is that when this screen is up the screen dims as is should.

Other than these I find it great! My daughter is headed to the UK for a year abroad and I have set up a UK DID and can have that on my android! Great!
    Thanks

Doug

10. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Will check this out.

Confirmed as a bug, this will be fixed.

This has already been fixed but has not been released yet.

I will see what can be done about this. Maybe we will add an About Button or something that indicates the version used.

This page is a bit of outdated and is already a bit and it's something we are planning to fix.

11. loganss

You could try turning 3CXPhone -> Menu button -> Profiles -> [your profile] -> Integration -> 'Proximity Sensor' on

During a call the word 'Earpiece' is actually a button. If you press it, you have the ability to change from Earpiece to Speaker or Bluetooth. On my N1 when I plug headphones into the phone it automatically sends the audio to my headphones.

To find out the version number of software on your android go to your phone settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> 3CXPhone and the version number is at the top just under the name

That's the UI that gives you access to your 3CXPhone saved phone recordings. It needs to either be removed or redesigned. You currently can't play the recordings from that menu.

12. basix

I just played back a recording by hitting the |> (play) button. Nevertheless, it's not so user friendly.

I can confirm the Force Close when the # key is pressed before any other numeric key. (HTC Desire)

Another bug: while there's an active SIP call, the phone still rings on an incoming GSM call very loudly while keeping the voip call off hook. This is quite uncomfortable and loud :( Also the Answer/Decline screen is on top of the 3CX application.

(I think the SIP call might even get dropped when someone calls over the regular GSM line if a data connection is being used)

I love the app btw, keep up the good work!

13. loganss

Hmm ... that's weird. I must have been missing the play button each time I tried to play the message. I just confirmed that I was able to replay recordings by pressing exactly on the play button.

Just an FYI, if you have recordings for multiple people and you are in the recording UI you can enter their names into the number pad (i.e. Joe = 563). Also when you are prompted to save a recording you have a choice to which color label to give it. When in the recording UI you can choose to show only certain types of colors.

14. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

We've confirmed the # button crash on the HTC Desire. Funnily enough, it only happens on the Desire and not on any other Android Phone we have lying around...
    - I'll give you more info once this bug is fixed, but it's going to be a while so don't expect a quick fix.

I've also confirmed the GSM & SIP call bug.
    From now on the default behaviour will be that if there's a GSM call, you will not be able to receive a SIP Call, and if you are on a SIP call you won't be able to receive a GSM call.

15. loganss

I noticed that the security settings changed for 3CXPhone, requiring a manual update if automatic update were selected. I figured the vibrate mode bugs were resolved and they were thanks. My OP bugs 1 and 2.

Unfortunately another major bug appeared in this build that is a bit of an annoyance.
    Now 3CXPhone whether it is in background or foreground controls the physical volume buttons on my phone to only alter the in call volume and music only plays out of the earpiece while 3cxphone is running. Controlling of volume buttons should only occur when the app is in foreground.

I also have some concerns in the following security access that needs to be given to 3CXPhone:
    System tools -> reorder running applications

Why does 3cxphone need to reorder running apps?

Update: I uninstalled 1.1.13 and installed 1.1.10 and that version also highjacked the volume buttons but I couldn't reproduce the music only playing through the earpiece. I reinstalled 1.1.13 and couldn't reproduce the music through the earpiece again. Very weird.

16. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

The Volume Hijacking bug is present in all Versions of the 3CXPhone for Android, this is something we are currently working on fixing.

As you said before, the issues regarding vibrating / keypad sounds have been fixed in the latest build.

17. kps

kps

Im getting a bug when going to menu->profiles->menu

I get a waiting for profile please be patient that never returns. I can back button out of it but thats it. i would think it would give me the option to edit my current sip profile.

Also, I am showing registered always but incoming is not working. If it is wifi or program not keep alive it should show not registered. Anyone have the same issue????

18. david steadson

Hi,
    I just installed the software on my HTC Wildfire (android 2.1) and using it with a local VOIP provider here in sweden (megaphone.se) and it works great. Two problems I've encountered so far, the first of which has already been mentioned -

1. My ear likes to press the keys when I'm on a call :shock:

2. I can't see the number I'm dialing as it's overwritten by my SIP address. I suspect this is a combination of the smaller HTC Wildfire screen and the fact my SIP username is 30 characters long so takes up two lines. If the account is going to be shown it's probably better to show the profile name, which the user can already define.

thanks!
    David

19. david steadson

To add to the previous post, I turned on the proximity sensor to try and stop problem 1. It stopped my ear pressing keys, but it also cased my phone speaker to drop out. The other party could hear my voice, but I could not hear them (or intermittently at best)

20. shaib

Everything seems to work however, the call quality is my main concern. I've connected to the internal PBX network and I am using wireless for data. When making a call to another internal extension I can hear the caller, but the caller gets a lot of feedback. The caller can hear me clearly but can also hear themselves clearly at the same time. I turned on the echo canceler but the feedback issue is still there. Please advise!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.