3CXPhone not working remotely

Discussion in 'Windows' started by bytesmart, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bytesmart

I cannot get 3CXPhone v6 to work remotely with our 3CX PBX v11. 3CXPhone works just fine on the LAN where the PBX is located. The extension configured in 3CXPhone is not blocked for use outside the LAN. After testing it successfully on the local LAN by making an external call (3CXPhone installed on a Windows 8 laptop), I connect the laptop to a cellular aircard, first confirm internet access and different outbound IP (using ipmonkey.com), then in 3CXPhone change it to Out of Office, and it ends up saying “Server Failure”. This was after provisioning it while the laptop was on the local LAN (and I’ve confirmed the external/ out of office IP settings). I’ve connected the laptop to other wifi connections and have had the same failed connection attempts with 3CXPhone.

When connecting 3CXPhone with the laptop on the same LAN as the PBX, I see references to its successful connection in 3CX Server Event Log. However when attempting to connect 3CXPhone remotely, I don’t see any references to its attempted connection at all (in 3CX Server Event Log).

When viewing the 3CXPhone Debug window during remote connection attempts, it displays the following lines:
    Translation file OK (in green)
    Attempting to connect 70.89.24.17 (in green, this is our static IP)
    Phone got as local port 59286 (in green)
    Jabra not connected (in green)
    RTP engine OK (in green)
    SIP engine OK (in green)
    Sound mic device OK (in green)
    Sound ring device OK (in green)
    Sound speaker device OK (in green)
    Sending STUN request (in green)
    Not connected: Server failure (in yellow)
    Phone has been disconnected – error: 500 (in red)
    Phone is no longer connected (in yellow)
    I’ve tried changing the STUN server in the Advanced Settings of the account setup in 3CXPhone, but it makes no difference (have tried stun.3cx.com, stun.counterpath.com, and stun.3cx.com:3479, all of which I can ping from the Windows PC with 3CXPhone).

If I change the account settings in the 3CXPhone to use the 3CX Tunnel, it works. However, our use case needs to be able to connect remotely without the tunnel (via 3rd-party VoIP phone app). I know of course 3CX cannot support 3rd-party VoIP apps- and I’m not asking for that- just asking for help in getting the 3CXPhone app to work without requiring a proprietary solution (tunnel).

I have run the 3CX Firewall Checker from the PBX, and everything passes (PBX is setup behind a static IP, set to use ports TCP 9000-9049 for audio). All 3CX services have been restarted multiple times, with no change in symptoms above. PBX is fully patched.

I’m at a loss as to what would cause “Server Failure” with remote 3CXPhone connection attempts, when everything else seems to operate OK (inbound calls work fine over the SIP trunk, outbound calls from IP phones on the local LAN work fine, etc). Help?

Regards,

Ben Ahlquist
    ByteSmart Services

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

What is your external connection setup in 3cx Phone for Windows?
    Settings- > Network - FQDN (might be different in v11)

IP or Host name?
    Either way - can you ping it?

Can you get to http://HOST:5000/Management in a browser? (You may not have 5000 open - and not sure 3cx Phone for Windows uses it or not for Presence like the iPhone does)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bytesmart

Thanks for replying!

Settings - Network - Public IP (in v11) ... is set to 70.89.24.17. I can ping it from the remote Windows 8 laptop with 3CXPhone v6.

From that laptop, when connected to a different internet service (Verizon air card), I can browse to http://publicIP:5000 and reach the administrative login page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.