• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CXPhone on an Airplane

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudym

Reaction score
Hey guys,

On my way back home from the 3CX training in Texas, I subscribed to the in-flight internet service to get some work don. I then decided to test the MyPhone on the iPhone and it connected with no problem using the tunnel. I was able to make extension to extension calls and calls to a land line but not to cells phone.

Thanks
Rudy

I'm a bit surprised that it worked. My understanding is that the bandwidth available is too low for "usable" VoIP, which was the reason that it has been forbidden (or blocked) on most in-flight Wifi services. You might want to check the "rules" on each airlines Wifi offering, before attempting a VoIP call or risk a tap on the shoulder.

This is from Alaska Airlines, saying they block VoIP and Skype services.. http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/on-board/inflight-wifi/inflight-wifi-faq.aspx

Of course each airline will be different.

Re: MyPhone on an Airplane

Yes without the tunnel it does not work. But remember when using the tunnel all they see is traffic but can’t see what type of traffic.

Yes, but those on-board ( your seat-mates and flight attendants) can see you are wearing a headset and talking to someone. Even if they don't say something to you, they may mention it to someone, who will see that the port blocking is "tweaked".

You might want to read this regarding VoIP in the air...

http://gizmodo.com/5908760/delta-calls-cops-on-viber-exec-for-using-his-voip-app-in+flight

It all comes down to the "terms of service", put forth by the provider, to which you agree to, when signing up for the service. If it specifically prohibits the use of voice services, and you get caught, be prepared for the consequences.

"Myphone" is not running on iPhone, do you mean "3CXPhone for iPhone on an Airplane"?
next time use GSM codec. It will save available bandwidth for other users of "in-flight internet service" :)

Very interesting information, really. What can you say about audio quality? Was it bad, acceptable or good?

Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

leejor,

To be honest, those answers are very ambiguous :(

Q: Do you allow VPN connections? Do you block any ports that I may use (SMTP, telnet, RDP, Peer-to-Peer)?

A: We only block VoIP (voice communications); all other ports remain open.

Q: Will I be able to use my cell phone or Skype for talking?

A: Although you can use your cell phone for surfing the Internet, sending email, etc. (assuming it has Wi-Fi capability) we don't allow passengers to use the system for voice communication either through a cell phone or Skype-like service

Q: Can I conduct/participate in a videoconference while in flight?

A: Although you may be able to videoconference, we do not allow voice communications so participation will be limited.

SY said:

True, that is the answer provided by an airline. But, they didn't build the network, and it is usually the company that built the network that you have to sign up with, and who's terms of service you are agreeing to. So, you'd better read them over carefully before trying to use a service that they specifically forbid.

Just because your car is capable of twice the speed limit, doesn't mean you will get away with it for very long :)

leejor said:
SY said:

True, that is the answer provided by an airline. But, they didn't build the network, and it is usually the company that built the network that you have to sign up with, and who's terms of service you are agreeing to. So, you'd better read them over carefully before trying to use a service that they specifically forbid.

Just because your car is capable of twice the speed limit, doesn't mean you will get away with it for very long :)

I completely agree that all users MUST follow the rules defined by the terms of service.
I simply don't understand the reasons of:
We allow video! for video conference
We allow VPN!
We allow "SMTP, telnet, RDP, Peer-to-Peer"
We don't allow realtime audio delivery (they name it as the "VoIP" kind of service)...

I'm looking for the answer to the question - what is the reason for this very selective ban of the service?

Stepan

Yes the 3CXPhone and 3CXTunnell for iPhone. As per the quality, to my surprice it was VERY good.

Thanks
RudyM

SY said:
I'm looking for the answer to the question - what is the reason for this very selective ban of the service?

Obviously, you'd have to contact the company offering the Wifi service for the "true" answer as to why voice services are prohibited. What I suspect is, that, there is an agreement with other companies that do offer air to ground phone service, not to undermine their (extremely expensive) service, along with possible bandwidth concerns.

VoIP, in the air can be done, as we've heard,the question is "should you do it" if you "agree" not to because it it prohibited. The answer to that can be a slippery slope.

The next thing we'll be doing is scrolling past all those software agreements and just clicking "I agree", even though we have no idea what we just agreed to. :)

leejor said:
SY said:

Obviously, you'd have to contact the company offering the Wifi service for the "true" answer as to why voice services are prohibited. What I suspect is, that, there is an agreement with other companies that do offer air to ground phone service, not to undermine their (extremely expensive) service, along with possible bandwidth concerns.

VoIP, in the air can be done, as we've heard,the question is "should you do it" if you "agree" not to because it it prohibited. The answer to that can be a slippery slope.

The next thing we'll be doing is scrolling past all those software agreements and just clicking "I agree", even though we have no idea what we just agreed to. :)

We are talking about the same things.
Personally, I don't understand why they are blocking VoIP and allow services which are much more expensive... (I'm talking about the resource and not about the price)

My intension was not to start a debate on the why or the legality.

What impressed me is how simple in was to do it using the tunnel and the clarity of the call.

it3 said:

What impressed me is how simple in was to do it using the tunnel and the clarity of the call.

I think everyone was impressed. It was good to see you at the training too. I drove back so had no problems :)

As Stepan said, it would be better to use GSM as you would have had better call quality.

You said you couldnt call a cell phone though. From your 3cx phone? Did you manage to look at the logs to see why? It couldnt be them blocking you if you called a land line. Maybe just low bandwidth or something at the time of that call.

it3 said:

Rudy,

Please forgive me for my comments, sometimes people are concentrated on the "own illness" ;)
To be honest, I was slightly shocked that tunnel works even in Wi-Fi network of an airplane (it was expected but not such cool)
It is pleasure to know that it just works. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NGPMH
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.