3CXPhone - Remote Problems

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mantalope, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantalope

I have set up the Free version of the 3CX server for testing. The phones on the same LAN as the server are working fine.

I am able to remote connect to my 3CX PBX via tunneling from a remote PC using the 3CXPhone. However, I cannot connect without a tunnel. Here are the debug lines:

Integration with 3CX Call Assistant is OFF
    Translation file OK
    Attempting to connect voip.xxx.com
    Phone got as local port 65330
    Plantronics not connected
    Jabra not connected
    Yealink not connected
    RTP engine OK
    SIP engine OK
    Sound mic device OK []
    Sound ring device OK []
    Sound speaker device OK []
    Sending STUN request
    Phone connection failed, PBX not responding

Here's my setup:
    Credentials are correct.
    My Location is set to "I am out of the office - external IP" and the public IP of my IPPBX

I have run the Firewall checker on the PBX and all test passed.

Any ideas where to look next? I am also trying to get a Polycom 501 to connect remotely as well, with no luck.

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

As far as I know it still is not possible to run the Polycoms as direct remote extensions as the firmware does not allow STUN.

You could try to get around this by using port forwarding on the remote location firewall if you have only one phone at the remote end (that includes softphones) so everything would forward to the polycom.

There is a great 3cx article about it here http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/remote-extensions/

I have no Polycoms here at the moment and so cannot tell you if recent firmware changes has added stun. You could check your polycom's firmware against 3cx's supported firmware (be careful as this may not be the latest firmware available) and upgrade to the supported version. But check the release notes to see if stun is enabled.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

Definately give up on this one !.

All Polycom phones, not matter what model and firmware, do not have STUN / TURN / ICE support. To get a Polycom working as a remote extension you need to get into port forwarding on the remote router, setup a site to site VPN that the Polycom can go over or spend lots of money buying a Session Border Controller of some sort :(

I've given up on having Polycom's as remote extensions and use Cisco SPA525G2's as these support STUN and are very simple to setup at a remote site or a users home (the in-built WiFi makes this very easy).

4. mantalope

Thanks for the input. You are confirming many other comments I've heard about the Polycoms.

5. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

Having said that though I'd personaly pick a Polycom over the Cisco I mentioned any time if I was setting up a permanent desk phone on the LAN or WAN that the 3CX phone system was on.

Personaly they just feel better built and are so easy to setup, and importantly backup their settings, when used against an FTP server.

(I could change my mind though if someone could show me how to get a Cisco SPA525G2 to backup its configuration in some way to a central resource)

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You might be able to make use of them if you were running a DD-WRT Load router at the far end that had the VoIP version firmware. As I recall it acts like a proxy server and doesn't require that the set have STUN capability. An option you may want to explore if you absolutely positively have to use them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.