3rd party phones / softphones integration

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by 7h3d0c70r, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7h3d0c70r

I have setup my 3CX PBX hosted via Google and I am able to login, configure extensions, etc.
    I have made multiple attempts to get an X-Lite softphone to register with the PBX and have had no luck in doing so. I have also made multiple attempts to get 2 other 3rd-party SIP devices to register and have had no luck with them either.

Is it possible to setup a 3rd-party SIP device or softphone to work with 3CX?
    If so, how do you do it?

Attached are images of my X-Lite configuration and a message in the X-Lite log which says my password is wrong. Only thing is, I made the password stupidly simple in order to avoid miss-types etc. I know I typed it in correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Attached Files:

2. JCLloyd

JCLloyd New Member

This may be a newbie-level incorrect answer, but... Can you set up an email address for the extension and send a Welcome message with a usable "3cxprov_ ... .config" file that has all the needed settings? In your scenario, that may not give everything, at properly. I thought it would be worth a shot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

There are no issue of registering 3rd party SIP devices, including X-lite with 3CX. Probably you haven't allowed extension to register outside of LAN (default setting) or you managed to block the IP address of the phone.
    Question: why don't you use 3cx phone instead, there is no valid reason to use x-lite or other soft-phones?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 sip.bg, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    JCLloyd likes this.
  4. 7h3d0c70r

I do need to get 3rd party phones to work with 3CX. We have an existing 3CX system and we have 30+ 3rd party devices that need to register with the server. I am simply using X-Lite to test with for the moment because the setup for X-Lite is similar to the configuration on the physical devices.

I also downloaded the config and installed it on the 3CX Windows Client.
    It is also not connecting to the server.

#4 7h3d0c70r, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  5. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

You may try also legacy 3CX Phone for Windows, downloadable from: http://downloads.3cx.com/downloads/3CXPhone6.msi -- you can configure it manually or provision it, like a deskphone into local network. It supports also multiple accounts simultaneously and works better than X-lite.

6. 7h3d0c70r

Installed the legacy phone.
    Setup the account with the credentials on server.
    Fails to connect.

Watching the debug window it says:
    "Not Connected: Authentication failed"
    "Phone has been disconnected - error: 403"
    "Phone is no longer connected"
    "Phone connection failed, PBX not responding"

Again I am lead to believe it doesn't like the password. Why would the password fail?

7. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

You need to set at least credentials and location (in office):
    - extension id
    - authentication id (different from extension id)
    - password
    - sip server (in office)
    This is enough phone to register to your pbx. You could also provision it, as the phone appears as new one in Phones menu.
    Untitled.png

8. JCLloyd

JCLloyd New Member

Error 403 looks more like a firewall issue, to me. Something to check...

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Check the 3CX Activity Log right after a registration attempt. Does it show that attempt? Is there an indication as to why it failed?

As mentioned earlier...you did uncheck the option, per extension (in the PBX), to allow outside registrations?

And...as mentioned earlier, check the IP Blacklist, to see if the IP of the device trying to register, is in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.