*72 and 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jbrown777, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbrown777

Good morning.

I am needing to be able to do *72 to forward one location to another. I am able to do this with the extension (calls to the extension forward to a number) but I need to forward the main number of the office to another location. I can have the provider forward on their end, but need to be able to have the location do this as needed.

We are using version 10 of 3CX with Patton SmartNodes 4114 and Cisco SPA525G handsets.

Thank you in advance.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You are trying to activate a service (call forwarding) on your PSTN line through a gateway, correct?

You can try a couple of different things. Both involve creating an outbound rule that is directed to the specific line (3CX trunk) that the feature is to be activated on (your gateway has to be capable, or set-up, to do that).

First create a speed dial number to activate call forwarding.
    See...http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/speed-dials-using-3cx-outbound-rules/

You can try sending *72, but I've found that some gateways don't understand when 3CX tells them to send a star. If that doesn't work then try sending 1172. The 11 was a substitute for star when using a rotary dial phone, and most PSTN lines will accept the DTMF in the same manner.

If the line that you have to send the code out on is in a trunk group by itself, then there won't be a problem. If it is part of a larger group, and you can't select a particular trunk using a prefix, then you may have to create a separate trunk group that consists of just your primary line (the one that you send the call forward activation out on).

3. jbrown777

Yes, you are correct.

:D

Thank you, that worked.

In the Cisco SPA50X phone I discovered that you also have to remove the provision of *72 & *73 from the Regional tab. If you don't, the phone will assume you are entering a *72 for the handset and never actually touch the PBX.

But you still need the speed dial solution for it to work completely.

Thank you very much and have a good weekend.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Using the "speed dial method" means you can leave *72 usable, as a feature within the PBX, and make use of some other, unrelated number (possibly to prevent people from activating it in error), to activate call forwarding "outside".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.