7961g

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by 3cx-newb, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3cx-newb

I am having an issue activating/registering this phone with the free 3CX pbx.

The front of the phone shows 7961, the back of the phone shows cp-7961g.

Between google and the walkthrough for this phone on the 3CX site, I thought I would be able to get it configured, but no luck.

Can anyone help?

I don't think the phone has any firmware on it (no SCCP or SIP) and I am wondering if that might be a problem or the problem.

Here is some information- I can get the phone to boot up and connect to a TFTP server and I can see packets in wireshark that it made a connection to the TFTP server.

I followed this guide- http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/cisco-7940g-7960g/ and it doesn't say anything about CTL, SEP, or XML files, the TFTP program stated that it was looking for those 3 files. The download from the 3CX site didn't contain those 3 files. I googled and found some default CTL, SEP, and XML files and I created them in notepad++, this time TFTP showed that it grabbed the additional files it was looking for, but the phone says, configuring IP....updating CTL.....then CTL Update failed (it didn't do that before I added my 3 custom files), so it must be making progress, but still isn't registering.

The 3CX web gui/portal is not very responsive on my windows 10 laptop, not sure if it needs a reboot or if the laptop isn't powerful enough, this is just a test/experiment, so it shouldn't be an issue, but I do have another windows computer I can install this on if I determine that my laptop is the reason that it is running slow.

My questions are:

1- this phone is compatible with 3CX, so I must be doing something wrong, can someone confirm?
    2- does it matter what the existing phone firmware is and at which level? I bought it used, it could be that it wasn't wiped properly and that I only have a partial config on here?
    3- Do I need to create my own CTL, SEP, and XML files or should those already be on the phone?

Thanks in advance for any input/help.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I played around with some of these a while back and hen put them in a box. The 7940/60 and 7941/61 require different file types. Cisco changed the way the phone work and what they want to download. I used the same guide you did and eventually got the phones firmware changed over to SIP and provisioning files loaded. Most of the Cisco set will come with firmware loaded already, in many cases it won't be SIP, but, if you follow the 3CX guide it will be downloaded to the set by the program you download from the 3CX site (the one you've already looked at). I found that I had to do a hard reset on the phone to get it to "take", on occasion. https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10985856/cisco-7940-hard-reset

There are a number of (non 3CX) sites that go into great detail about the files required for each type of set, and what the various parts within the files do, so that you can manually edit adding more features than the 3CX provisioning file itself. The SIP version of the phones are usable on a number of available SIP PBXs. Do some searches.

http://www.jtech.net/ip_phone/cisco/7940_sip_config.aspx

You cannot properly edit an XML file with Notepad, you have to download something like XML Copy Editor (it's a free download) to do it properly, or you will end up with a corrupted file

3. 3cx-newb

How about notepad ++? that is what i have been using. If not, I will try the one you recommended.

My bigger issue (I think) is that I am getting confused with the firmware. When I try to see what is on the phone, all I see it term61.loads (or something like that, I am not on the computer with the files I was testing with). If the phone has no firmware at all, does the 3cx guide add the firmware, assuming I have it in the correct directory? I have tried both reset methods, the one with 123456789*0# and the one with a specific sequence, starting with 3 (I don't have the reset number handy, but it is out there, I don't think it needs to be posted in this thread), that one resets everything....

I know I am making a connection with the phone and TFTP server due to the logs in TFTP and wireshark confirms it. My issue is either in the 3CX setup or the files (my guess is that my error is in the files).

Thanks for posting.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if the phone had no firmware at all, they usually come with something pre-installed. And, yes, the file you downloaded from the 3CX site has the SIP firmware in it. The phone should download it, and install. The sets I used were not SIP to begin with but did pick up a SIP load via the tftp server.

As for Notepad ++...it might work, but I've never used it, so I can't say for sure.

5. 3cx-newb

All the guides I have read show you how to check the firmware and none of them show term61.loads as a firmware. I know for sure I have the correct 3CX cisco SIP files in the correct directory, it won't grab the SIP firmware. Another issue could be that I need to go in a certain order, but I am fairly positive that the phone doesn't have firmware on it based on what I have seen.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Where was the phone used previously? That would tell you what sort of firmware it was running, SIP or SCCP.

It's been a while since I worked with these sets and I recall a lot of trial and error to get the set to take the initial SIP load, but, they all did, eventually. I did some posts to the forum at the time with a number of, what I found to be, useful links, in understanding how the configuration files worked. At the time I just followed the 3CX guide, but in some cases, it did require a reset on the phones to force them to take the initial load. Once that was in, the set would then request the correct SIP configuration files (the ones that are created when you "build' the extension in 3CX).

7. 3cx-newb

I am not sure where they were, I purchased them from ebay. They originally had SCCP, but it has been a while since I purchased them and checked the initial firmware on the phone. However, according to everything I have seen, if it is SCCP or SIP firmware, it shouldn't show term61.default as the firmware, at least, not from what I have seen. It could be that it isn't taking the SIP firmware in the directory because there is nothing on the phone? Not sure, I don't have that much experience with cisco phones. It does appear that if the phone is blanked out, the SIP firmware won't automatically install itself. If it should install itself w/o anything else being on the phone, then I must really be doing something wrong.

Thanks.

EDIT- this is what I should be seeing (I think).

This is not my image, got it from google images.

This is what I see when I IP into the phone via browser (this is my phone):

MAC Address 001B2Axxxxxx
    Host Name SEP001B2Axxxxxxx
    Phone DN
    App Load ID Jar41.72-1-0-1.sbn
    Boot Load ID 7961G_64-02070631Amd64megRel.bin
    Version term61.default
    Expansion Module 1
    Expansion Module 2
    Hardware Revision
    Serial Number FCxxxxxxxxxx
    Model Number CP-7961G
    Message Waiting

Attached Files:

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As i said, mine have been packed away for a while now, I'm not all that keen on the sets. After getting them to load, configuring them i just put them away for possible future use. Someone else that is currently using them could probably tell you what is shows on the menu of a SIP configured set.

If the phone is getting the tftp settings and you see it going to the correct directory on the server, then as far as I'm aware, it should get a copy of the firmware right off the bat. After that it will look for the configuration files associated with the particular model.

I think that this was one of the sites that I had originally come across. It provides a lot of information about the sets (even if it is about using them with that other PBX).
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+cisco+79x1+xml+configuration+files+for+SIP

9. 3cx-newb

Ok, I think I might be making some progress.

- I reset the phone by doing both of these commands 1- 123456789*0# and 3497672850*#
    - then tried dropping all the files from the 3CX 7961g guide, I saw the TFTP requests, but nothing was happening
    - then I dropped these files into the TFTP directory (removing the 3CX SIP firmware files) see Figure 1.
    - now I got to the point where I have never seen....the phone said upgrading but actually upgraded, I also saw the TFTP program call the files and download them. now I am at a screen on the phone that has the incorrect date at the top and says unprovisioned. I am going to stop here until I figure out what the next step is, should the 3CX software be pushing out the provisioning files? Meaning, should I go back to the console and try to provision this extension?

I can see the TFTP logs, the phone is looking for
    - CTLSEPMACADDRESS.tlv
    - SEPMACADDRESS.cnf.xml
    - XmlDefault.cnf.xml

Figure 1, below (these are the files that were in the TFTP directory when it started to download to the phone)
    [​IMG]

This is what the phone shows in the browser with the firmware/files from the screen shot above:
    MAC Address 001Bxxxxxxx
    Host Name SEP001Bxxxxxxx
    Phone DN
    App Load ID jar41sip.8-0-3-16.sbn
    Boot Load ID 7961G_64-02070631Amd64megRel.bin
    Version term61.default
    Expansion Module 1
    Expansion Module 2
    Hardware Revision 1.0
    Serial Number FCxxxxxxxxx
    Model Number CP-7961G

EDIT- minor update...I decided to follow this guide, again, just to make sure nothing was missed on my end.

http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/cisco-7940g-7960g/

It turns out that the directory, for whatever reason, didn't save from the last time I tired doing this, which means I was waiting for the phone to provision using the files 3CX created, but it was not pointing to the 3CX server provisioning folder. Once I did that, minor progress was made. TFTP logs are no longer looking for 3 files, it is still requesting CTLSEPMACADDRESS.cnf.xml and the log says "file not found" and the phone status log shows "Error verifying config info" and "No CTL installed". I followed the 3CX extension setup, not sure if I should delete the extension and try it again, I suppose it is worth a shot.

10. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

these phones are picky.. nonetheless, if you have an update that we may need to do to the template to improve this let me know..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. 3cx-newb

I don't think I have the information needed to give any updates for any templates. I am simply following the guide on this site, for the 7961g, and I am at a brick wall. I can't get the phone to provision/register within 3CX.

Thanks.

12. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Can you try and configure it manually?
    I hope you changed it from cisco skinny to sip firmware yes?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. 3cx-newb

I thought it was running SIP, are you able to confirm by seeing the information I posted?

I always thought that was part of my issue, but I did think it was converted to SIP, I guess maybe it isn't?

14. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

SCCP !!!!! OF COURSE IT WILL NOT WORK - look at the image you posted.
    Skinny Call Control Protocol - You are backwards to make it work...
    Read the 3CX Post and read it religiously.. there is also a zip file that the phone will take and it will work.

15. 3cx-newb

Where do you see SCCP?

Also, did you read the part that I DID follow the guide and I am using the files from 3CX?

16. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

When the phone showed that it was upgrading, then I have to assume that it was picking up the SIP firmware that came with the 3CX download. I saw the sets that i was working with do the same thing

As for the 3 files that it is requesting

- CTLSEPMACADDRESS.tlv
    - SEPMACADDRESS.cnf.xml
    - XmlDefault.cnf.xml

As I understand it, the tlv file is used for certificates, so for the time being, don't worry about it. The other files should be created by 3CX when you make the extension that will be assigned to the phone. You use the sets MAC address when doing so, so all of the files for that set will contain its MAC address. You may have to "direct" the tftp server so that it points to the correct directory so the set can find the files. The default file contains the generic information pertaining to your PBX, all phone will get that file. the sep/ cnf.xml file contains specifics for that extension hence the MAC address.

The files created by 3CX will look similar to the ones shown on this site..
    http://unlab.unlondon.ca/w/Cisco_IP_Phone_7961

The phone may later be looking for other xml files. One that is useful is the dialplan.xml. If you do some searches you can find info on rules for creating a dialplan for your particular set-up. It saves having to hit a dial key or waiting for a time-out after dialling.

Basic is something like..

dialplan.xml

<DIALTEMPLATE>
    <TEMPLATE MATCH="*#" Timeout="0"/>
    <TEMPLATE MATCH="*" Timeout="4"/>
    </DIALTEMPLATE>

17. 3cx-newb

Does it need the dial plane to register/provision?

I did point the TFTP program to the 3CX directory, but the phone isn't registering/provisioning, still stuck showing Unprovisioned on the phone. Is there any way to force a provision via the 3CX web GUI? I read the same thing about the file that it is looking for and it doesn't seem to be needed for provisioning.

Thanks.

EDIT- I found the SEPMACADDRESS file that 3CX created and I opened it up, it does appear to have values from the 3CX server, my name, my MAC, the 3CX static IP address, etc... However, if something is not correct in that config file, I have no clue what it is. I realize that this is the part where people have to get into trial and error mode, but I don't even know if the error IS the file or another file or is WITHIN this file, there are still too many unknown variables to know where to begin to search (unless there is another troubleshooting method). I have no problem knowing that something is wrong within SEPMACADDRESS, but I don't even know if that is the case.

Thanks.

18. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The phone must download the two files or it will never provision. If you have a look over some of the sites i provided links to, you can see examples of other default and provisioning files. There is a lot of information in those files but much of it is not used in all cases. Do you see the set downloading the two files?

If the files were created by 3CX, and information thay you supplied when the extension was created, was correct, then the set should register. Have you had any other phones working at all? If not then there could be issues other than the set.

19. 3cx-newb

This is why I am so confused, I don't know which files I need to provide and which ones are provided by 3CX.

I don't have a problem making that file or other files, but then I go back to what I said above, I am not sure which are needed from my vs 3CX. Also, I don't see wireshark or TFTP logs indicating that the phone is requesting other files (it doesn't mean that it isn't). I did see it for MACADDRESS and SEPMACADDRESS. Anyway, this is a test environment, this is the only phone in the setup.

I did read everything linked, but I have so many tabs open right now, I might have missed 1....I am also reading links from google searches I have done on my own (thanks again for posting info).

20. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Your phone will try to download the two XML files (of the three you listed earlier), it needs those. Those are created by 3CX. One is a "generic" default file and the other, with the phones MAC, is specific to the set. Don't worry about any other files that the set is looking for...dialplan, tones etc., they are not required for basic operation.

Given that you have one phone at this time, i would suggest that you install the 3CX phone for windows on another computer (laptop?), or install it on an Android device, or iPhone. Make sure that it is able to register. Check the 3CX Server logs, they will tell you if the PBX is seeing any signs of an attempted registration, and if so, why it is failing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.