• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

802.1x wired phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcit

Reaction score
We are looking to implement 3CX this summer and have been thrilled with the system in our testing. The one major hold-up for us right now is finding phones that will work with IEEE 802.1x wired port authentication. We use Microsoft's NPS (Server 2008 R2) as our RADIUS server to authenticate our wired users with computer certificates and have Procurve switches in the network. Everything is great, but we can't figure out how to find phones that will work with some form of 802.1x, or if its even necessary.

In my searching, I've found this question posed in the 2007-2008 timeframe, but nothing newer, so wondering if there's some other preferred method of setting up phones now?

We obviously want our phones in their own protected VLAN with QoS control, PCs attached to the phones to be in different VLANs, and the ability to have a guest VLAN for unauthenticated PCs on the network.

We've tested the following phones:
* Cisco SPA508G (Cisco says 802.1x is on their roadmap, but will give no indication of a release date)
* Aastra 6731i
* Aastra 6757i (Aastra supposedly supports EAP-MD5 but NPS server is dropping packets and Aastra tech support has been woefully non-chalant in their willingness to help)

Other phones were ruled out because it was clear they did not support 802.1x in any way.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.