911/caller id and hot desking between offices

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by barden, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barden

I have a customer that wants his employees to be able to hot desk between offices. They're using 3CX V12 with Yealink phones. The hot desking works fine, however, because the two locations are in different towns, the caller ID for 911 needs to change based on the phone they log into. This can be done by if they log on as a different extension, but that defeats the purpose of Hot Desking. Has anyone come across this? As far as I can see, I can only set caller id based on the extension or outbound route and the rules for outbound calling don't take into account the physical phone or ip address, only extension.

I would think this is a common task for companies with multiple offices. I either need caller id to change based on the MAC address of the phone or the IP Address since the offices are on different LANs.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I am not so sure how prevalent the need for this might be. Not withstanding the hot-desk function, the e911 or 911 is an issue that becomes really problematic for remote workers. While you may have a completely controlled environment at the remote site, the system only takes what it receives and this could be problematic to have a 911 call based upon an IP of an extension. Other sites that may not be as controlled - homes, small branch offices, etc., may not have static IPs or DHCP reservations set for their extensions. This also raises the issue surrounding any mobile devices and/or softphones and even SIP forking without hot-desking. If using analog gateways for the outbound/inbound carrier service it becomes more problematic if not impossible.

Finally, assuming a SIP provider is in use, they normally register e911 to an account. I have attached a link to a document that may help in understanding more of the issues and possibly help in finding a solution. You could submit a feature request, but given the various scenarios possible, it may be a fairly large project with little to gain in return. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xo.com%2Fresources%2Fwhite-papers%2F9-ways-to-ensure-e911-service-for-enterprise-voip-deployments.pdf&ei=SLKfVe2PKtWkyASP0IbIDQ&usg=AFQjCNHaHh3ldBd77-0euciG-dxVy0gxVQ&sig2=WjNYDaE0ZUcxwHH5hWwAoQ&bvm=bv.97653015,d.aWw

3. barden

I understand the complexity in some situations. It just seems to me that when you have a system that has the ability to have branch offices go through the main PBX, there should be a few more options to provide for 911 at that location. I think the easiest way to accomplish this is to have one more option for outbound routes "All calls from network matching xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx" I'll put in a feature request for this. I have spoken with a few of my clients that have multiple offices and they would all need something like this.

4. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

I fought with some 911 config recently. Keep in mind, 3CX does not support emergency dials themselves.. so what we have to work with is more than the nothing I would otherwise expect.

Put another way.. good luck with your feature request.
    I fought with registering a DID with as an alt trunk so I could route E911 through it and rewire the callerID accordingly.. for a single site. I'm putting my foot down as far as remote sites and extensions go.. I'm not going to support them over 3CX and their trunk.

Your situation is certainly different, in that you just want to identify the caller by network address since the hot desks and their extensions are geography-independent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.