• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

A couple phones sharing extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosier1077

Reaction score
Hello,
I have my 3cx server setup and configured using trial verison right now. Firewall confiured and everything has been working just fine using inphonex voip service. I have a linksys spa921 in my work office and its been working great. I also work from my home office, so I put a cisco spa504g 4 line ip phone at my home office. I set it up just like my linksys phone at the work office. ext 100 and all the same user info. So i have two phones up at the same time on the same extension. Ones local and the other external. Is there any special settings that I need to change to let 3cx know that Im sharing this extension between 2 phones? I just want to make sure I have it setup properly so there are no quirks. Sometimes it seems like my spa504g will ring on two of its lines, even though one call is coming through... Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,

It sounds like you set it up fine, however weird that call would be blinking on 2 lines. However if this is not disturbing you then I wouldnt worry about it. The only way i could look into that issue would be if you opened a ticket as it too advanced an issue for forums.

hoosier1077 said:
Sometimes it seems like my spa504g will ring on two of its lines, even though one call is coming through...

On Linksys/Cisco phone I've used in the past, the default is to set the line keys to the same extension as key 1 (multiple appearances of the first extension). In the menu there should be options to "separate" the line keys into individual extensions. Then you can program different extension numbers (or not) on the additional keys.

thanks for getting back to me... i guess my only question then would be is there any different way I should set up a 4 line phone for 1 extension. I have it setup now so all 4 lines say 100. Im assuming unless I want to setup another extension on one of those lines, I can just use all 4 for ext 100. Basically in the spa504g setup ext1 is setup with registration information, and the other 3 extension are just enabled, but no registration information. All 4 are lit up and say 100 though which is why i figured it was good to go.

Four line appearances, of the same extension number, on one phone is probably best left for an attendant set. You can set up each line to be an individual extension and then not fill in the details (keys 2,3 & 4) so that the key(s) will not register. In most cases, the keys not used as lines can be set up for other functions.

Hi,

Sip phones work in this manner normally, if you have 4 lines and first line is set then the other 3 lines become lines of main extension. So even tough you only set up extension 100, whilst on the phone you can recieve another 3 calls. Setting up the same extension 4 times on the phone is not recommended.

Thanks again... one more quick question about the 2 call in at once. As I was describing, when I test call from my cell into pbx, the server acts like it receiving two calls from my cell at the same time. I use inphonex, and when I check the registration from there end, it usually does show the 3cx server registered twice. So im guessing that when i call my main number setup with inphonex, it sends two calls into the 3cx server because its registered twice on their end? In the 3cx server setup its only registered once, and its always been that way. Main voip number is on extension 1000, and that forwards to main extension 100. Do any of you think that because I have two phones running at the same time on that main ext 100, that is why I always have two registrations on the inphonex end? They seem to think that nothing is wrong on their end, but i really dont see anything setup wrong on my end either.

hoosier1077 said:
when I test call from my cell into pbx, the server acts like it receiving two calls from my cell at the same time. I use inphonex, and when I check the registration from there end, it usually does show the 3cx server registered twice. So im guessing that when i call my main number setup with inphonex, it sends two calls into the 3cx server because its registered twice on their end?

A long while back someone had a problem where they were showing two calls being presented to 3CX at the same time, when one call came in, from their VoIP provider. I searched but can't find it off hand and I can't remember if it was resolved. Can you post the registration log (it will happen if you restart 3CX) to your provider (you can X out part of the IP). and show a log from an incoming call, that looks like two?

Hopefully you guys can answer one more question for me.... As I talked about in my previous post, I have the two phones setup at same time on that main 100ext, which is the extension that my voip ext1000 forwards too. Now, one of those phones is setup on the local lan with 3cx server, and the other is setup externally at my home office. Since those two phones are on different networks wth different public ips, would that cause the inphonex end to register twice with the 3cx server?? I guess I could take a couple days and test by unpulugging my home office phone for a couple days, but figured maybe one of you guys have seen this issue before. Just trying to figure out why its happening, thanks again....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad.k
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.