A few questions...

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by theatretch85, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theatretch85

I have a few questions I am hoping I can get some answers to.

1. I am having some issues with the Caller ID being passed through the system from the PSTN line, I have looked through the forums and tried changing the PSTN auto-answer to different values and it seems to have no effect. Also, related to this issue being the internal extensions calling another internal extension does not display the name either. Do I need to enter all the extensions into the directory on the 3CX server in order for the display name to show up?

2. This question is not really a 3CX directed question, but deals more with VOIP in general. I am using 2 Linksys SPA 942 IP phones and 1 Linksys SPA 962 IP phone and I can't seem to get the POE working with my Cisco 3524XL-PWR switch (which provides inline power). I posted this question in the Linksys support forum, but have had no real responses to it. Basically I'd like to know how the Linksys IP phones get their POE power. Everything I can find on these IP phones is that they are 802.3af compliant (the POE standard), however there are two methods of powering up a device that 802.3af defines. The first is sending power (48VDC) down the data pairs (pins 1,2,3,6) and the other is sending power (again, 48VDC) down the "un-used" pairs (pins 4,5,7,8). Bottom line is, they do Not power up with the switch, and I have verified that all the ports are set in "auto-power" mode.

3. Also, with the Linksys phone's I'd like to be able to setup the voicemail message indicator light on the phone. I turned the setting on in the web config for the phone, however it just turns the voicemail light on solid, and puts a envelope looking icon next the extension in the display, even when there are no messages.

4. The log file on the 3CX server seems to be trying to connect to a STUN server and is timing out. I have not configured it to connect to a STUN server, any ideas on how to make it stop trying to contact this server? (or is this normal?)

Other than these couple issues, everything seems to be working great, finally figured out my issue with the dialing an outside line through the PSTN connection (thanks to the forums here) it was an issue with the ports (5060 vs. 5061).

2. amygoda

amygoda Member

Hello and welcome to 3CX

what is your pstn gateway
    if it is spa3102 please read this and support it
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/edit-spa3102-configuration-6634.html

and read this topic for caller id
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/3102-ringing-wrong-place-6875.html

I have linksys 962 works fine with voice mail
    and works fine with dlink poe switch

3. theatretch85

I do indeed have the Linksys 3102 VOIP gateway and I did get the external PSTN line working both ways with the PBX. I got that information regarding the ports 5060 and 5061 configuration from the forums here (so this part is a non-issue).

I will have to check those caller-id settings on the gateway to see if that has any effect on the ability to receive the caller-id information (Caller ID Method:
    Caller ID FSK Standard:). I have tried changing the value of the PSTN line call answer delay to different values (no higher than 5) but it has had no effect, the display simply shows the "PSTN Line" and the extension being "10000".

I am wondering if any of these questions related directly to the 3CX PBX might be due to the fact that I am currently using the free version of the software. Liek maybe it doesn't support the caller ID, or the voicemail indicator, etc.

I will have to look into the D-Link POE switch option, I bought this cisco switch to go along with the rest of my cisco network which includes: Cisco 2621 Router, Cisco 3548XL switch, 2x 3524XL Switches (non-poe), and a catlyst 4006 with plenty of gigabit fiber uplinks for all my switches, servers, and workstations. plus now the addition of the 3524XL-PWR intended for use with the IP phones and possibly some network cameras down the road. I am wondering if anyone has and experience with the cisco POE switch and the linksys IP phones and what needs to be done to get it to work (if its even possible). Someone on the Linksys forums just indicated today that the Linksys POE phones use 802.3af method "a", meaning power sent down the data pairs, not the spare pairs.

4. amygoda

amygoda Member

Hello,
    Linksys has a lot of settings
    3CX need a few settings from it
    so the best way reset to factory set and reconfig again

leave all caller id settings to default

5. theatretch85

Actually in the process of setting this whole thing up I have reset the VOIP gateway (the linksys spa3102) to factory defualt multiple times. Configured the WAN IP to a static IP on my second Vlan (dedicated just for the telephony) configured the PSTN line registration, and the Line 1 registration. Just enough of the settings to get both ports functional. I just got home now so I will try some things with the caller id settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.