a server with 2 static IPs

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by petselas, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petselas

Hi ,

I installed 3cX on windows 2008 server which has 2 static IPs.
    Wizard asks to select 1 of them and installation completed OK.
    3CX works OK but in system status log file I see both IPs used by 3CX.
    Is this correct ?
    I suppose that only the installation IP should be used. Isn't it ?

Thanks in advance
    Nikos

2. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi Nikos,

This is not a recommended setup and sometimes may cause issues . However if done properly it will work. It will always detect the ip's but the ip you selected will be the main interface used for creating provisioning files etc. It will listen for phone connections on both networks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. petselas

thanks for your answer 1st of all.
    Can you be more specific when you say "if done properly"
    Is there any info documented somewhere for this case ?
    Thanks once again
    Nikos

4. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

It means properly tweaking your routing tables. Can you please explain to me why do you have 2 IP addresses? Are they on the same subnet? Are they private/public? I often see this type of setup done without any valid reason and it is typically due to lack of knowledge (you can have multiple IP addresses on the same NIC) and it often turns into poor network performance and erratic routing behaviour. If this is due to having a need for higher bandwidth, then you should consider a single IP address, multiple NIC with link aggregation (provided that your NIC driver and your switch supports it).

If instead you have 2 NICS because one is private and one is public (uring MS routing NAT) then you don't need anything special in your setup because only your public IP NIC will have a default gateway...(and is quite possibly the only scenario that calls for 2 NICs).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. smb1

smb1 New Member

We have been instructed by 3CX support to use a multi-homed configuration when connecting the SIP trunks using IP based authentication. We have at least two VOIP providers in Australia who use this type of authentication and many routers don't correctly translate internal IP addresses causing call setup to fail.

This is what they recommend:
    NIC1 - Connected to the router without NAT and a separate IP on the WAN side
    NIC2 - Connected to the LAN

If someone has further guidelines to follow in this setup to ensure the 3CX server and the customer's network is secured as much as possible, it would be welcome.

6. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

That is exactly what I wrote here:

If instead you have 2 NICS because one is private and one is public (uring MS routing NAT) then you don't need anything special in your setup because only your public IP NIC will have a default gateway...(and is quite possibly the only scenario that calls for 2 NICs).

Make sure that the LAN NIC has no Default gateway specified

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.