A strange problem - advice please!

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Erve, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erve

I have quite an odd problem.

We have a relatively small network, but it is spread over three locations which are connected by wireless bridges. I'm using the free (and latest) version of the 3CX phone system with two wireless GTek Wifi phones and a few other softphones (mainly 3CX).

The entire system works perfectly except between two particular locations.

Each of these two locations (A+B) has a bridge configured as a client - both clients connect to a single AP (in another location - C). When the softphone in location B phones the Wifi phone in location A, the calls connect, but there is no sound in either direction.

Both locations (A+B) can call the third location (C) with no problems.

I have tried using other hardware/softphones in both locations, as well as different extension numbers, but the problem persists. The only thing I can think of is that the phones try to take the shortest path between the two locations, which in straight from one client to another, rather than going through the AP and on to the phone system.

I hope this makes sense....? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Have you tried enabling the "PBX delivers audio" option, in 3CX, on each of the extensions to force the audio to go through 3CX?

3. Erve

Thanks Leejor - that has solved the problem - I'm sorry I didn't think of it myself! Thanks for answering such a stupid question.....

I now have another problem though - calls connect fine, but the audio drops unexpectedly during calls... This is between all stations. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can fix it....???

Thanks again!

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The audio dropping during a call is something that may be explained by using Wireshark and then posting the log back here, for some help, if nothing obvious pops out at you. Most audio problems are the type where there is no audio one or both ways, at all.

5. Erve

Thanks Leejor. The problem certainly seems to be related to network speed/communication, but I've no idea where the problem lies. All the wireless bridge hardware is set to prioritise voice traffic and they are transmitting at least at 13mbps in each direction. All calls connect without problem, but the voice audio is crackly and often drops for a few seconds before coming back.

The only failure point I can think of is the router/hub - it's a D-Link DIR-100. But since we don't use any external VOIP traffic (the PBX is entirely LAN based), it would seem odd (to me) if the router was slowing up the packets....?

I'm currently downloading Wireshark - having never used it before, is there anything specific I need to know in terms of setting it up to examine this problem?

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated!

6. Erve

I've just had a look at the PBX log and found this:

[MS 105000] C:3.1: No RTP packets were received:remoteAddr=192.168.0.99:6126,extAddr=0.0.0.0,localAddr=192.168.0.103:7008

192.168.0.99 is one our wifi phones and 192.168.0.103 is the PBX IP

Does this explain anything??

7. Erve

Here are two links to logs created with wireshark. The logs filter the two wifi phones - 192.168.0.98 and 192.168.0.99. The PBX is 192.168.0.103.

I hope this sheds some light on the problem!

Thanks again

http://rapidshare.com/files/428247808/wfiphone2.pcap

http://rapidshare.com/files/428247060/WifiPhone1.pcap.jpg

8. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

The problem is NOT related to PBX and/or network (switch/hub).
    If you will try to use 3CX Phone on both sides of conversation you will not have this "strange" problem.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. DXS_Matt

Stepan, I'm not sure that's exactly the answer he's looking for. The end all be all solution isn't to user the 3CX Sip Phone for all calls.

So let's see if we can troubleshoot this another way.

13mbps between locations should be enough, however what is the current latency between the two connections?
    Running a ping -t <targetIP> do we show any request time outs? If not what is the time in milliseconds it's taking to complete?

10. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Wireshark capture shows, that incoming streams delivered over WiFi are good. I suppose that outgoing streams are also pass "wifi" channel with the same quality.
    The volume of the streams which are coming from the phones to PBX are lowered (by phones) in case if both participants are talking simultaneously.
    I think, that it is the issue. Am I wrong?

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.