aastra and 3cx

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by weebnuts, Oct 6, 2007.

1. weebnuts

I have a couple aastra phones, and after reading further and testing, I come to find out that they do not support the GSM codec. They do support G.729.

I need to buy a couple more phones as well, but am wondering if I should go with Polycom or others, or hope that 3cx decides to somehow get G.729 working.

thoughts or suggestions?

2. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

Referred to the following post. G729 support is not planned. They can provide an information how to write a codec's plug-in for Media Server.

http://www.3cx.com/forums/categories-1/3cx-phone-system-general-1/how-to-make-the-ippbx-support-g-729-codec-2471/

3. weebnuts

I know it is not planned, but was hoping someone would come up with the plugin.

4. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

They are looking into adding it in the paid version. No timeframe yet that I know of though.

5. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi,

You are correct Rob, we are negotiating with the G729 consortium about including G729 into the paid version.

Note that we recommend SNOM, Grandstream above the Aastra phones. So if you are buying phones, buy those instead.

6. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

Actually, the voice quality of Polycom should be the best especial at using speaker function. Hopefully, 3CX box can fully support Polycom.

7. weebnuts

well maybe I'll try the SNOM phones. Anyone have experience with SNOM and Polycom phones?

8. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

We already tested Polycom, Linksys, Snom, Planet, Grandstream, Aastra, Wish and Sysmaster. I prefer Polycom.

9. dyntech

dyntech New Member

I have used the Snom 320 in the past with another PBX and had no problems at all with the phones.

I currently use a Cisco 7960 and have no problems with it except, that I can't get the MWI to work with 3CX (minor issue).

I have never been a fan of Polycom phones when I had to deal with them at a customers in the past. Don't think I would ever buy one.

Just my .02¢

10. weebnuts

I guess everyone has a different opinion. I had used Cisco 7960's before, and they are ok, but didn't impress me much. oh well....