In Progress Ability to set a Caller ID for Outbound Calls

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by craigreilly, Oct 19, 2015.

In Progress Ability to set a Caller ID for Outbound Calls 5 5 106votes
5/5, 106 votes

1. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Ability to set my Caller ID for Outbound Calls, specifically for calls to 911.

Right now, I can not program any DID's except the main number as an Outbound Caller ID in case of circumstances to call 911.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Internetek

This would be useful for me as well. My company has multiple sub-companies in the same office space so we've had to make our outbound Caller ID blank/neutral rather than identifying the specific company making the call.

3. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Yes this is a big one.

There should be a field in the outbound routes to set the outbound caller-ID. It's common in the phone systems of the evil, evil competition.

Right now we need to either create multiple extensions per phone or setup multiple sip trunk registrations to be able to do this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    jscherb likes this.
  4. Futureweb

Futureweb New Member

We also need this Feature as we got multiple Numbers for multiple Departments on our Trunk ...

Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

simply7 likes this.
  5. stalley

Absolutely agree - each 'department' would like it's own outbound CID.

simply7 likes this.
  6. ghunt

It would be useful to have a CID ruleset for outgoing calls.

simply7 likes this.
  7. DugDaThug

Forgive me if I'm off base, I'm brand new to 3cx and in an evaluation period. I see a field in every extension to specify the outbound caller-id, is this not what is being asked here?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Because the desire is to have the flexibility to set the caller ID based on the outbound ROUTE or rule that's used in addition to the hard-set outbound caller ID per extension that you mentioned.

9. simonjh88

I don't think it will be a terribly hard thing to implement. 3CX just need to ensure that it is built with some intelligence and flexibility behind it, otherwise it will become a problem again.

I agree with the route A (clid1), route B (clid2) method, however sometimes there are multiple CLIDs to present within a company so it would be great to have some rules to be able to customise that if a specific extension dials out over route B that it can also be overridden as to not use clid2 but instead clid 6 for example.

I think that makes sense. I need coffee + it's Friday. 8)

10. craigreilly

Lets make this easy and start with an Outbound Caller ID per rule.
    As an added function perhaps - a flag that says 'Override Extension and Trunk CID'. If not checked - then this CID is only used if the Trunk/Extension is blank.

The most urgent part of this is for 911 calls.

I have DID's and can assign them for inbound calls - but as far as outbound - every one needs to show the main number in case of calls to 911.

11. tse

tse

If you are using SIP Trunks and they allow you to have multiple trunks to the same IP(which I know some do), you can create a separate trunk for 911 calls only and then set the caller ID in the outbound SIP trunk parameters that will override the extension caller ID settings. There are a few fields that take that setting and it depends on the SIP provider as to which field will work.

For example, I have this working with VoIP Innovations trunks and the field needed to be set to custom with the DID you want to use is the "Remote Party ID - Calling Party : User Part"

All calls going out this trunk will use whatever you put in the custom field, so then you can create a 911 rule to use that trunk.

Hope this helps.

12. simonjh88

I think this relates to this article:

http://www.3cx.com/docs/multiple-outbound-caller-ids/

Although it is a temporary fix, it's not ideal. I tried this and tried to duplicate a trunk in order to create 2 different rules, however you can't have 2 trunks with the same authentication ID. :?: :cry:

13. tse

tse

That is true about the Auth ID. I forgot that VoIP Innovations trunks don't use that and allow you to put whatever you want for Auth ID, allowing multiple trunks.

I also failed to mention there is another field that needs the custom entry for the DID and that is the "From:User Part".

14. simonjh88

I needed 3 rules in the end. I managed to get around it by having 2 x IP authenticated trunks and 1 user/pass authenticated trunk.

15. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Caller ID per outbound rule is in progress for V15 - this will allow much better flexibility. Note that some trunks will not accept certain caller IDS - if they dont match the outbound number, so additional checks/configuration will be necessary

cwoller, Peter Lim and the60 like this.
  16. simonjh88

Nick, what do you mean by "Note that some trunks will not accept certain caller IDS - if they dont match the outbound number" ?

Surely the user should be allowed to set whatever caller ID they want as usually it is the telephony provider that has restrictions on this?

17. brentkhack

I just had this issue. What I did is this: System Status->Extensions View->double click the extension you want to change->Other tab->in the Outbound Caller ID field, put the caller id you want displayed when making a 3CX call.

18. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

Nick will this be also for Caller ID Name as well as number?

It would be awesome to have a phone number field to fill in AND a name field to fill in as well per outbound rule.

19. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

I've had to sell other solutions that support more outbound CID flexibility because this is missing. Hotels, schools and large institutions who want the main number displayed for all outbound calls but want a specific CID pushed for emergency calls so you can push specific information like the floor or room. Simply adding a field on the extension called 'Emergency CID' and then incorporating that into the outbound call logic would take care of this and most other use cases.

HH60 and roadwings like this.
  20. craigreilly

C, I like the idea of pushing more info - but in the USA, we can only push a phone number - not the name (as far as I know).

These ideas are all great - but a simple solution to start - of adding an Outbound Caller ID option on the rules is what we need.
    1) Trunk Number
    2) Extension CID
    3) Custom CID

outlaw likes this.